Washer drain code

Users who are viewing this thread

Travis Hardy

Reaction score
I have seen some pictures showing a min of 6in needed from p-trap and the vent T on a washer drain. See Pic. However, I have not seen the actual code stating this. Is this correct(picture) or do I need to extend the arm a min. of 6in into the next stud bay?

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_182131931~2.jpg
    IMG_20240220_182131931~2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 41

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Minimum distance from trap wier to vent opening is twice the pipe diameter, so 2" pipe needs 4". You can be pretty near hub to hub and meet this requirement.

Reach4

Reaction score

Travis Hardy

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification on the distance. Yes, the santee is not correct in the picture. I was out of 2"x2"x2" santee so I stuck a 2"x2"x1.5" in quick just for the picture. It will have a 2" vent and 2" drain when glued.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
You only need a 1 1/2" vent for a 2" trap. The existing tee works fine as long as the 1 1/2" runs up for the vent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I took alook and couldnt find the 2x pipe size rule for IPC but thats what we live by in UPC code . Because the measurement is from the edge of the vent to the edge of the trap wier the fittings can darn near be hub to hub Im going to say an inch between them is plenty and some p traps have a really long 90 that Im sure would allow both hubs touching but havent seen them lately

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks