Washer drain by handyman

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
About 9 galleries full of great pictures at this link...
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,1220600,00.html

Like this one...
pvcbending.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lottia

DIY Member
Reaction score
Can't roll back rubber liner far enough

You should use banded. You drop the metal sleeve down, and roll the rubber inner liner back to allow the pipe to move into position.
The banded connector I have had a little ridge inside that separates the ends of the two pipes (I guess for a better seal). The inner liner is too thick at that point to roll all the way back past the end of the pipe.

Is it OK to have the ends of the pipes separated by a small gap? If so, how much wider than the thickness of that inner ridge?

l

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rolling back the rubber. I cut the pipe to insert 1/4" shorter, that way the ridge of the rubber sets between the pipes.

BTW, are there any websites where people post pictures of interesting home repair work such as this? Or, is there a thread on this site appropriate for these little pieces of humor? I have a few of my own I'd like to submit. :)
progress.gif

If you have funny pictures of plumbing, go ahead and post them here.
We can all poke fun at them.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well if that didn't strike you as funny I hope one of these will!

This is either a tankless water heater or a UV filter depending on which bulb you install.

redwood-31.jpg

This was on someone's blog about how his condo association said he needed to get a plumber to fix a sink that was leaking into the unit below... But he did it by replacing the trap himself with a few parts and plumbers putty on the slip joints.

index.php

If you don't think this ones funny smellslike$tome I doubt you have a sense of humor!

redwood-30.jpg

Construct30

Reaction score
Looks like some big kids toy!

Don't stop now.

Some one should have read IPC 802.4 or maybe the entire code book.

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't find anything in the code book directly saying it is wrong to cut and bend PVC with a torch, almost, but not quite. LOL!!!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
This thread is the very root of my frustration when it comes to DIY info online.
I've had calls from potential customers saying things like "I have another guy that says he can do it for half what you quoted...can you go down?".
This usually means they called a handyman service and the guy is willing to use cheap or illegal stock/fittings/fixtures to get the work for a lower price.
I lose out, the homeowner loses out, and some guy made a few bucks for beer at some dive.
Most homeowners have no clue what stock costs or how the smallest differences in piping arrangements can make a huge difference in quality.
Buyer beware.

Construct30

Reaction score
Sometimes they use more fittings and supplies, the savings are supposedly in the labor, until later.

Any one want to play "Let's Make A Deal" or "Name That Price"?

Last edited:

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
How can you not find that slightly amusing? You get what you pay for and that looks cheap.

Well if that didn't strike you as funny I hope one of these will!

This is either a tankless water heater or a UV filter depending on which bulb you install.

This was on someone's blog about how his condo association said he needed to get a plumber to fix a sink that was leaking into the unit below... But he did it by replacing the trap himself with a few parts and plumbers putty on the slip joints.

If you don't think this ones funny smellslike$tome I doubt you have a sense of humor!

Of course it's humorous on a certain level but it's more outrageous to me than funny. It's one thing if these were done by ho's (although that is plenty bad enough) but if this "work" was done by so called "professionals" then it makes me more angry than anything else. Most people don't understand their plumbing systems and they trust the people they hire (whether they are qualified or not) to take care of their problem. The ho has a responsibility to do what they can to insure that competent people work on their plumbing but there is a limit to what they can do to make sure of that and ultimately they are depending on others to do it properly. We who are in the trade see this sort of thing often I know you all have stories to tell, I have a few of my own, but when I see things and here of things that are passed off as good when they clearly are not it does make me angry because unhappy ho's will paint the entire trade with the same brush. The person who works on the ho's plumbing is "the plumber" whether he is or is not. So when the handyman hack does this sort of thing or the undereducated and under qualified plumbing apprentice or just plain lazy scoundrel plumber, it makes everyone in the trade look bad. How often have you either sensed or been told outright something like "that last guy ripped me off ..." and then you are watched the entire time you are there as if you are some kind of criminal. So yes, the ridiculousness of what is done in the name of "plumbing" is funny, but just remember those of you making a living at this trade, that you have in the past and will in the future follow this kind of stuff all over the towns and cities that you work in. It's funny yes but it also makes your life harder. You should be entering homes to make plumbing repairs and install new equipment and you should not have to spend any time assuring the ho that everything is going to be alright and that your company is not like the last guy who came and not to worry because you are honest and will do the job properly, etc.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
This thread is the very root of my frustration when it comes to DIY info online.
I've had calls from potential customers saying things like "I have another guy that says he can do it for half what you quoted...can you go down?".

"No, I can't. But feel free to call me, later, when you need someone to fix his repair."

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I was just about to apologize for thread high-jacking, but I forgot the title.
I want to be clear, I'm not against homeowners saving money they might need to feed their families with by doing less dangerous tasks on their own.
I'm against landlords or unlicensed, inexperienced guys charging money to do what they have no right to be doing.
I think most us that are self employed in the trade can recall just starting out, we had tough times learning the pricing game...at first we'd struggle with conscience vs making a living and wind up underpricimg...then stuck with moral decisions on cutting corners to make up for low balling.

Making the decision to hire any contractor solely based on price can be dangerous.
Having someone install your boiler for $1K less and conveniently forgetting to ask for licensing is deadly.
And no, not all licensed guys are the best...neither are all doctors, lawyers or prize fighters.

mold-griz

Reaction score
Terry,,,,,,,,,,what is the purpose of using black PVC, instead of schedule 40 white PVC? Is there any difference?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The black pipe is not PVC, it is ABS. It is used in the same applications that PVC is used for often based on availability and other piping in the house. I personally prefer PVC... I feel it is heavier, stiffer and a better product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks