vents

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The reason a roof penetration may need to be increased is in a cold environment, water vapor can condense and freeze. Eventually, it can plug the opening entirely and block the vent. So, a larger size helps prevent that.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste stack venting refers to a method of draining kitchen sinks on multiple floors into a vertical waste/vent stack. What you have there is a vent stack, not a stack vent. And yes, it probably should have been carried full size to it's exit point but there may not have been enough space up there to maintain proper pitch. I am not what could be called happy with how the work was done but in the intent of the code as it applies to venting I think that an argument could be made for passing it. In other words, it will work, will not cause eventual problems and does not pose a hazard to the occupants.

EFS

Reaction score
what pitch? that vent was cut down during re-roofing; it used to go straight all the way trough the roof. There is plenty of space to run it as it was. The only difference is that we have cricket roof over it now, so it needs to be ~ 5.5 ft longer.

EFS

Reaction score
if what is shown on the picture is "vent stack" than following applies: "Every building in which plumbing is installed shall have at least one stack the size of which is not less than one-half of the required size of the building drain. Such stack shall run undiminished in size and as directly as possible from the building drain through to the open air or to a vent header that extends to the open air."...

Doesn't it?

I am calling for another plumber- my worry is how do I know the second oneisany better than the first one? Would Angie list beof any help?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you should let it go. It will function just fine. One can make the argument that if your main is 3" all you need is an 1 1/2" and what you have is over sized so reducing it back to 1 1/2 is ok. Unorthodox but OK

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks