Vacuum breaker spigot problem

Users who are viewing this thread

NotAPlumber11

Reaction score
I have a vacuum breaker on my spigot in the backyard. When you turn off the spigot it sprays water. Not dripping, not a little spurt, but high pressure spraying from the hose side of the vacuum breaker. Once the water is completely off, and the pressure has died off from the hose, it stops spraying. I found some stuff online saying it was an issue with the vacuum breaker, so I replaced it. It's cheap, so it's not a big deal. I also changed out the short hose from the hose reel to the vacuum breaker. All brand new, washers were there and everything. It still does the same thing. Any ideas? I don't like getting sprayed with water and getting my pants soaking wet from turning off the spigot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't care for that style of breaker on a hosebib. They do tend to spray a bit when the water is turned off.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

The breakers on top seem to be less messy.

prier-hosebib-terrylove.jpg

NotAPlumber11

Reaction score
I don't care for that style of breaker on a hosebib. They do tend to spray a bit when the water is turned off.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

The breakers on top seem to be less messy.

prier-hosebib-terrylove.jpg
Should I just expect a mess when turning off the water then? When I was growing up, there was never a vacuum breaker, and we never had this kind of problem. Is it fine to just remove it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO! You have a "soft hose" which expands when the water is turned on, and then "shrinks" when it is turned off, but has to get rid of the trapped water by spraying from the VB.

NotAPlumber11

Reaction score
NO! You have a "soft hose" which expands when the water is turned on, and then "shrinks" when it is turned off, but has to get rid of the trapped water by spraying from the VB.

It's good to know that it's normal. However, it just seems strange to get drenched by the spigot every time I turn it off. Why did homes not need these in the past? Every home I've lived in, until now, never had a vacuum breaker on it. This includes the built-in one that Terry showed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks