Uponer Pex-A for Repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

dollinger

Reaction score
I wanted to provide a follow-up regarding my search for suitable PEX pipe and fittings. Unfortunately, the process has been rather disheartening thus far. After conducting some research, I had initially considered using Zurn PEX-B pipe and their F1960 Expansion Fitting. However, when I contacted my usual supplier, Ferguson, they seemed unaware of Zurn's expansion fittings and insisted that Uponor was the brand offering such products.

In an effort to clarify the situation, I reached out to Zurn directly. They provided me with the contact details of their sales representative for my area. I contacted them and obtained a list of companies that were supposedly stocking Zurn products. To my dismay, none of these companies had the Zurn F1960 Expansion Fitting in stock, despite providing them with the exact part numbers to search for.

This setback has brought me back to the drawing board. I am determined not to use crimp connections for several reasons. As it stands, my options seem to be using Uponor white pipe and hoping that the concerns raised by a particular YouTuber regarding the white piping are unfounded. Alternatively, I could explore another PEX-A expansion pipe and fittings, although many of the available options appear to be Chinese-made. Lastly, I could consider using Zurn PEX-B pipe with Uponer fittings.

Is there is a better option that I have not considered, please let me know. Otherwise, out of the options I have mentioned, which one would you suggest?

Edit:

Finally got a hold of a higher manager at Ferguson. For Zurn they have to order the fittings, but he is pushing Jones Stephens Pex-A, which he says is a Ferguson Owned Company. They carry the Jones Stephens Plastic Pex Expansion Fitting in the stores. He did not know where they manufacture these products, so still need to find that out. Any opinion on Jones Stephens.
What did you decide to do? I'm in the same boat right now. Any advice from your experience is appreciated.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
What did you decide to do? I'm in the same boat right now. Any advice from your experience is appreciated.

You should just go with the normal CLEAR wirsbo uponor pex with the expansion rings and plastic fittings....
They seem to be the be the best on the market...

Its all a crap shoot out there with everyone saying their brand is better than others.....

If you are worried about all of this , then just forget about pex and go back with COPPER

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should just go with the normal CLEAR wirsbo uponor pex with the expansion rings and plastic fittings....
They seem to be the be the best on the market...

Its all a crap shoot out there with everyone saying their brand is better than others.....

If you are worried about all of this , then just forget about pex and go back with COPPER
A lot of advice to not trust Uponor Im not in agreement though somewhat concerned

dollinger

Reaction score
A lot of advice to not trust Uponor Im not in agreement though somewhat concerned
Thanks for your response, Jeff and Mark. I finally realized the thread has multiple pages and I see I'm exactly in the same situation as the OP. The t options seem to be:

1. Use some Uponor and hope for the best.
2. Use Sioux-Cheif if I can get it since I can't seem to find anything bad said about it
3. Use Jones Stephens but I'm flying blind and the only advantage is Ferguson might be supportive.
4. Call Zurn and let them know their distributor won't quote it and see if I can get them to but someone said their fittings are crap which may be about the old brass fittings.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Jeff and Mark. I finally realized the thread has multiple pages and I see I'm exactly in the same situation as the OP. The t options seem to be:

1. Use some Uponor and hope for the best.
2. Use Sioux-Cheif if I can get it since I can't seem to find anything bad said about it
3. Use Jones Stephens but I'm flying blind and the only advantage is Ferguson might be supportive.
4. Call Zurn and let them know their distributor won't quote it and see if I can get them to but someone said their fittings are crap which may be about the old brass fittings.
Yea one of our members says Zurn expansion rings cause leaks I have no argument but if a single job has a bunch of leaks I dont see how its likely that all zurn expansion rings are junk but I cant deny or confirm

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea one of our members says Zurn expansion rings cause leaks I have no argument but if a single job has a bunch of leaks I dont see how its likely that all zurn expansion rings are junk but I cant deny or confirm
Only with the pert.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

We have used miles of Uponor over the years..... I have seen many homes done in this stuff with no
issues.... We have never had one issue and If you use the plastic expansion rings and the black plastic fittings you will probably get
by fine for 30+ years... it all depends on the amounts of chlorine in your water....

we have had to use sharkbite fittings on many water heater installs due to all the bastard brands of pex
we end up staring at .... its about the only way to adapt to all the pexes out there

like I said before you can always throw in copper and be done with this debate

dollinger

Reaction score
We have used miles of Uponor over the years..... I have seen many homes done in this stuff with no
issues.... We have never had one issue and If you use the plastic expansion rings and the black plastic fittings you will probably get
by fine for 30+ years... it all depends on the amounts of chlorine in your water....

we have had to use sharkbite fittings on many water heater installs due to all the bastard brands of pex
we end up staring at .... its about the only way to adapt to all the pexes out there

Thank you for your input. I looked at Uponor last night and see they have the red and blue back on the market now. I would probably do white. The main issue is that all of their multiport Tees are 1" and I would be running 3/4" pipe or the plastic multiport available tees are limited.

I can't just throw in Copper and be done. My wife has stage 4 cancer and I'm dealing with all the financial pressure from that and trying to do the best I can to find a solution that will last and that I can install in a smart thought way to keep the water going as much as possible.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Uponor pex expansion in my area I think is 10 to 1 over others its only a rough guess Im not in the new construction buisness anymore. But my jobs tend to be a mix of repair we dont have pex penetrating the walls that often. I could see on water heater jobs it be handy to have some pushfit connectors !

dollinger

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sioux Cheif Pex? It looks like it may be available with all the fittings.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sioux Cheif Pex? It looks like it may be available with all the fittings.
I have Sioux Chief PEX A. Zero issues with it.

Just remember to INSULATE the snot out of any PEX pipe and do double duty on any manifolds. Especially if you buy Sioux Chief copper manifolds. Not a brand issue but the copper material in the cold. If you could, I would run your hot and cold together, wrap along the way, then breakout when needed. Help keep the cold pipe warmer in freezing weather.

dollinger

Reaction score
I have Sioux Chief PEX A. Zero issues with it.

Just remember to INSULATE the snot out of any PEX pipe and do double duty on any manifolds. Especially if you buy Sioux Chief copper manifolds. Not a brand issue but the copper material in the cold. If you could, I would run your hot and cold together, wrap along the way, then breakout when needed. Help keep the cold pipe warmer in freezing weather.
Sioux Chief says that their Pex B can be expanded too. It's made in the USA. PEXA is made in Israel.

Slomoola

Reaction score
So I I find that I can't get Uponor since the supply houses here no longer stock it!
Go to PEX Universe or any other online place. Get all stainless fittings while you are there. PEX A pipe and Boshart stainless fittings for the win. Sleep well at night........

dollinger

Reaction score
Well what I'm running into is no one except Ferguson stocks pex fittings. They have to order them and I have to order is large quantities so it's not practical. I can't get Zurn, I can't get Sioux Cheif, I can't get oponor. The only fittings I can get in smaller quantities are the Jones Strphens.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well what I'm running into is no one except Ferguson stocks pex fittings. They have to order them and I have to order is large quantities so it's not practical. I can't get Zurn, I can't get Sioux Cheif, I can't get oponor. The only fittings I can get in smaller quantities are the Jones Strphens.
Huh? What do they stock? Copper only? Pex B only?

dollinger

Reaction score
Go to PEX Universe or any other online place. Get all stainless fittings while you are there. PEX A pipe and Boshart stainless fittings for the win. Sleep well at night........
I' running into the same issue at pex universe. They don't stock a lot so they order from the manufacturer.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
supplyhouse.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks