Unions. Yes or NO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your union organizing doesn't seem to be working either. Most Americans do not believe in unions, for good reasons, and do not want to join one or they would have done so already. Why do you suppose that is?

Maybe He's just pitching the wrong audience...
If I can make a 40 hour union paycheck in 3 days and have all the bennies too, what use do I have for a union?

Maybe I should join so I could contribute to his organizer paycheck fund!
That'll be the day!

BTW I'm supporting Nader because I want my customers to have a fair living wage so they can afford me.
And I want to see a review of all free trade agreements as I believe exporting jobs to benefit large corporations bottom lines will also one day affect my customers ability to afford me.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The biggest union job in the world that had the highest corruption level (my opinion) that has yet to be deeply probed. It has already caused death because of the substitution of sub standard products so their pockets could be lined and the use of other substandard products that may cause future catastrophes in the worlds largest construction project.

The additional costs and the degree / number of substandard parts used will probably never be known.

The Big Dig

http://www.workers.org/2006/us/big-dig-0831/

http://www.nrtwc.org/blog/topics/general/union-corruption/

http://www.nlpc.org/olap/UCU/01_12_06.htm

Even Obama likes corrupt Unions FYI

http://conservablogs.com/publiusfor...to-protect-union-corruption-not-eliminate-it/

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Unioin corruption

Good article CASS...

You read this all the time about someone stealing
or draining the unions pension fund for illegal reasons...

Their are a lot pf pensin funds out there that have never
been "funded" ..like General Motors.....

.and you can be pretty sure that a lot of Union bosses have built their
homes in the Caymen Islands with the little guys money...

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
the big dig....

I would bet that most people that protested
the corruptioin and incompetence at the "big dig"
got their arms broken or were threatend and fired...

for being "trouble makers"

now the money is all gone and its all been swept
under the rug, everyone that was involved have
move on and no one is responsible...............

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
It was a joke Mark, because of what you wrote earlier here in this thread about the colors, sounds, brownies, etc, I thought you would laugh, sorry, I didnt' mean to offend you seriously. I will delete it, Cookie

Cookie

Reaction score
We all know what he was smoking or eating Terry, :D

I know the kind of cookies you are bakeing
that give you such a good atitude....

I ate a batch of brownies myself one time at a college
party....not knowing only one per person....

I downed about a dozen.........

That was a night to remember....

what an atitude adjustment.. the colors, the sounds.......

OBAMA 08............cookies for everyone......

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rugged,
why should the union pay for traveling expenses? All the union shops I know either pay you oneway drive time for a day job or put you up in a motel and pay your gas or give you a vehicle. If you don't want to do it, you are free to quit. That's the beauty of unions, it's two way street. The worker can drag up anytime. Your insurance and bennies are portable, so you aren't at the owner's mercy. I have already stated what I make, it's 42 an hour plus 2 for foreman. I make more now than I did as an owner. Unions aren't for everyone, but neither is being an owner. Regardless if a shop is union or non-union, it needs cashflow to survive. Union shops don't survive because they are connected, they survive because they have enough jobs and cashflow. That guy in Indy bid the job without an provision for material costs rising. Copper went up and he was stuck. The G.C. should have realized that his sub wasn't going to do a quality job while losing that kind of money. The G.C. was probably happy that he was going to keep his sub's feet to the fire, now look what he gets, a bankrupt sub with no way to make him fix the shitty install. My personal feelings are that a plumber is either a good mechanic or a hack. Union or non-union is secondary.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
its my own special mixture

Well.....What are you smoking up on that moutain top?

Cookie, you dont have to delte anything,
I am not offended at all...

I just didnt put two and two together....

And of course that is only tobacco in my pipe....

and if it were anything else, just like with

President BILL CLINTON.......... I never inhaled..........

but Bill Clinton was never asked about ....BROWNIES.

I never realized what I was
eating at that party untill it was waaayyy too late to turn back..........

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Wait till the next flood...

kordts;153096 The G.C. was probably happy that he was going to keep his sub's feet to the fire said:
KORDS...I suppose that the plumbers insurance carrier
had to pick up the tab for the mess he left behind at this new building.....

according to what rumors I heard he was in the hole
on day one and knew it hopeing to make it up on work change orders...

then some-how he missed on the estimate
something like 100 commercial roof drains ........so rumor has it.
.......or what my salesmen tell me........

anyway it flooded the building and totally flooded the phone and
communications area in one of the sub basements

My guess is ....probably a cast no hub fitting blowing apart
becasue the whole system was undersized in the first place..

so if you are ever watching a Colts game and everything goes blank
.......you can bet its raining real hard outside......

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I can make a 40 hour union paycheck in 3 days and have all the bennies too, what use do I have for a union?

BTW I'm supporting Nader because I want my customers to have a fair living wage so they can afford me.

Wow... You are a machine. You must by Red Bull in Bulk. To bad that serious cash you make come's with a price like all the time away from your family and not to say the massisve heart attack you probably will have because your so.... ambitious.

By the way don't patronize Nader because your nothing but a hader.

Last edited:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score

Redwood maybe you'll look like this at retirement if your lucky.

gdpit_com_24745591_242.gif

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A massisve heart attack you probably will have because your so.... ambitious.

I don't think Redwood is saying it's hard, it's easy for him.
I think it's just working smart.

I'm sure that there are smart workers everywhere.
Besides, when he gets home from work he hops in his pool and does some swimming.

Last edited:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think Redwood is saying it's hard, it's easy for him.
I think it's just working smart.

I'm sure that there are smart workers everywhere.
Besides, when he gets home from work he hops in his pool and does some swimming.

Terry,

Working smart is not giving him 40hrs pay in three day's. Working 13 hrs a day does that. If that float's his boat, whatever.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Terry,

Working smart is not giving him 40hrs pay in three day's. Working 13 hrs a day does that. If that float's his boat, whatever.

Union Organizer 101,
It's a simple process called working smarter not harder.
Most weeks I'm right about 40 hours I don't believe I go over 45 except mabe a few weeks every year.
I spend plenty of time with my family, on my boat and in my pool and here.
Those are the things that I like to do and are the reasons why I work!
When I have work to do I knock it out and move on to the next one getting as much done as I can in a day.

When there is a slow day I don't hang around and wait, I've got better things to do! I figure if I go out do a few jobs in the morning and make 3-400 and I'd have a while to wait for another job I go call it a day and go home. Thats the nice thing about this job... Usually the slow season is in the summer and why work in the heat when I can be in the pool with my grandson. Or, out on my boat! I live in a nice quiet town and enjoy the water.

Here is a shot of the end of Main St. Yea, boating, fishing is pretty big here and I like both.

Go for a dip in the ocean, or just hang on the beach with my grandson finding creatures and shells at low tide, do a bit of surf casting, catch some stripers, it doesn't get any better than that.

I'm truly a lucky guy that I can do what I do without busting my butt and manage to afford the good life and have plenty of time to do what I enjoy.
Thats what working smarter not harder can do for you! In your world there is no reason to work smarter. There is no incentive to take it to the next level. Kinda sad if you ask me!

I have never tried Red Bull, I usually have 2 cups of coffee with my wife in the morning before I go to work and thats all the jolt I need for the day.

BTW: Isn't this what the boss often looks like at a union shop... So tight and stingy that the unions have to be there to protect the workers from the nasty evil boss?

attachment.php

Or, maybe you guys made him that way...

My boss and I have a very good understanding. I make him a ton of money and do a great job and he pays me a ton of money and wishes he had more guys just like me. If he didn't I could be doing the same thing somewhere else tommorrow. I get offers all the time and he knows it. How do you think I ended up there? He made an offer too good to refuse!

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Redwood you appear to have a great life. What you have done up to this point in your life has worked for you, great. I realize we live in this great nation and everyone has there own point of view. I come from the point of view I hold because I was raised in a union family, father, uncle's, grandfather. The region I live in is dominated by union's and would be hard pressed to find any non-union shop's running any large project's in the area. I thus far have had a great exp. with my union and just wanted to share that with people, not that any one really care's BTW Mr. Smither's was just in fun. No offense. Now go swimming with the grandson, they grow up fast.

Joe Biden v.p., what is that all about?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
I know a union mason that was hired to work on the rebuilding of Ellis Island. When he got to the island, the foreman told him he wanted 11 block a day, no more. If he laid a single block more than 11, he'd fire him and get another mason from the union pool.

Union plumbers that I know say that the pay is great but they spend aprox 9 months of the year waiting for work and the other 3 months working their butts off in some high risk, poor condition, wouldn't want to be there, heavy commercial new construction job. They're usually building malls, prisons, hospitals, etc.
There was a time in American history when unions were a good idea. Now, I'm not so sure.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know a union mason that was hired to work on the rebuilding of Ellis Island. When he got to the island, the foreman told him he wanted 11 block a day, no more. If he laid a single block more than 11, he'd fire him and get another mason from the union pool.

Union plumbers that I know say that the pay is great but they spend aprox 9 months of the year waiting for work and the other 3 months working their butts off in some high risk, poor condition, There was a time in American history when unions were a good idea. Now, I'm not so sure.

Union's are still a great thing,but by the response's I guess it depend's what type of union you belong to. As for your friend, if he was ordered to lay 11 block per day there was a reason. Maybe it was a TM job. Who wouldn't do that union or not. It's like the storie's of guy's working at powerhouses when they were being constructed, they only wanted so much done per day. What are you gonna do. It's alway's been my stance if your a good worker you are alway's working, the guy's who are alway's sitting either live in a region with no work or maybe are not good worker's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks