Undo plugged well?

Users who are viewing this thread

nc73

Reaction score
Can a plugged (abandoned) well be undone? It's 6 inch steel 215ft deep from 18 years ago. Recently plugged with bentonite. I wanted to turn it into a geothermal well, put a U poly 200ft pipe down and grout. I'm think probably cheaper to dig new. If not I will go the horizontal route.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Drilling out Bentonite is about the same as drilling a new well. If you are just putting in Geo loops, the well doesn't have to be very large diameter and doesn't need casing. Usually a well for a geo loop is much less expensive than a larger diameter, cased, water well. But also usually more than one loop is needed.

nc73

Reaction score
Drilling out Bentonite is about the same as drilling a new well. If you are just putting in Geo loops, the well doesn't have to be very large diameter and doesn't need casing. Usually a well for a geo loop is much less expensive than a larger diameter, cased, water well. But also usually more than one loop is needed.
I was quoted 6k years ago just for 1 well for geo. I've moved since and running pump and dump. I was going to make it hybrid, 1 ton in the pond and 1.5 for the well. Your CSV works great btw!

nc73

Reaction score
Thanks! Wouldn't hurt to get a quote on drilling out the plug?
Yeah I'll have to leave the driller a message. They don't answer the phone. They put in 200ft well for 9k with pump etc for the previous owner. I don't think they do geo per their website. Maybe I can show them how.

nc73

Reaction score
Well they said no to drilling the bentonite so looks like I’m getting 2 drilled for my geo. Much cheaper than digging a water well and no permits required.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Agreed! With the right bit I have been able to do it fairly easily a few times. But like you say it would have been easier to move over, just couldn't get a permit for moving even a foot.

I was referring to the swelling characteristics...it drills like butter, just hard to keep mud right and get it out of hole...

NC73....permits are requied

Reach4

Reaction score
Is plugging normally done over the full depth, or the first xx feet?

nc73

Reaction score
He did drill a well for the previous owner, he got a permit for that but it was for a water well of course. Might have to call the county.
Reach4, plugging should be from bottom to top, most leave a few feet unplugged. At least that's the rule here.

Reach4

Reaction score
He did drill a well for the previous owner, he got a permit for that but it was for a water well of course. Might have to call the county.
Reach4, plugging should be from bottom to top, most leave a few feet unplugged. At least that's the rule here.
I was thinking it might be the top 30 feet or some such. Guess not.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was referring to the swelling characteristics...it drills like butter, just hard to keep mud right and get it out of hole...

NC73....permits are requied

I remember needing a larger settling pond. But I don't remember it being that hard to drill out. Might not have been straight Bentonite. Getting old and have slept many times since then. LOL. Back then I would try anything. Don't know that I would try it today if it came up. :)

nc73

Reaction score
I think it just comes down to what makes more money? I'm sure drilling new makes more :) They are out here now prepping. Too bad i couldn't reuse the 3 wells that's out here. What a waste.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I think it just comes down to what makes more money? I'm sure drilling new makes more :) They are out here now prepping. Too bad i couldn't reuse the 3 wells that's out here. What a waste.

Sure, a 200' loop hole would drill in about 2 hours (for someone knowing what they are doing with a moderately capable rig........it's not a huge deal, but it might take twice as long to drill out bentonite.

nc73

Reaction score
Sure, a 200' loop hole would drill in about 2 hours (for someone knowing what they are doing with a moderately capable rig........it's not a huge deal, but it might take twice as long to drill out bentonite.
Well the drilling started this am. They hit a small boulder at 6ft, some limestone deeper, took about 6 hours total to get the 200ft, setup time included. They should be done with the second hole by noon tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
put a U poly 200ft pipe down and grout.
What is that?

Any casing?

Are they taking steps to make the well not useful for drinking or lawn watering for fear that your city water bill would go down?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks