Tub water won't fully turn off on unique/old system.

Users who are viewing this thread

eRandall38

Reaction score
We can't get the tub water to fully turn off. It is only hot water so I assume from the hot water side. We have a unique/old setup here. If I turn the hot water valve as tight as possible I could get it to slow the flow a little bit, but it does very little.

I have attached some photos of the system, and some close ups on the hot water side. I also linked because it only allowed 6 photos, so there are 3 additional in the links.

Any opinion on what we might need to do or how to fix it?

IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg
IMG_1397.jpeg
IMG_1391.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1392.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
You have several pictures of the stop valve near the floor. Are you saying that the stop valve will not stop the flow, and the valve up top will not stop the flow?

That flow in is no dribble. It is hard to imagine a bad seat and washer would get to that level.

For an old valve, you want to replace the washer and the seat. If the seat is not removable, a reseating tool might dress that up. I have never used one. I am not a plumber. I have replaced valve seats.

erandall-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eRandall38

Reaction score
You have several pictures of the stop valve near the floor. Are you saying that the stop valve will not stop the flow, and the valve up top will not stop the flow?

That flow in is no dribble. It is hard to imagine a bad seat and washer would get to that level.

For an old valve, you want to replace the washer and the seat. If the seat is not removable, a reseating tool might dress that up. I have never used one. I am not a plumber. I have replaced valve seats.

The stop valve near the floor won't even turn. Seized up because its so old. I believe the stop valves on the the floor would stop each respective side from coming (hot / cold). We never use those on the floor. The top valves are what we normally use, and now the hot side when fully turned doesn't cut off the water. I am assuming there is some sort of gasket/seal isn't holding anymore, just not sure where I would look (or how) to see what I need to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have a valve that could go back to the 1930's and if so it went out of business during the depression. You have to take a stem out and compare it to a "good" catalog. It MAY be a Repcal, but that is only if you are really lucky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks