Triple Sink: disposal backwash and noise

Users who are viewing this thread

bmcgin

Reaction score
Welp, I decided to stay with the "Talea Double Kitchen Sinks Drain Pipe Kit." and also installed a new disposal. The McAlpine is very nice. The problem I had is the p trap is tall and the height of the t-connector makes it challenging to connect the disposal. I hoped to come straight out of the disposal, turn 90 degrees, and join.

So I stayed with the Talea. One thing I do like is the dirty end of the p-trap connector. There is a 1 1/2" pipe inside the connector and it is necessary to have a larger pipe mount outside. This must be a European standard. It makes a super good seal and there is little chance of odor seeping through that connection. Luckily, Ace Hardware sells an extension with a 1/2" lip that fits.

Also, I like that the p-trap holds a lot of water. It's gotta be pushing the 4" max height requirement. Being that the old triple connectors had a very slight odor, I like this new design as it has fixed that problem.

In an ideal world, I might need to raise the t-connector a 1/2" as it is just barely above the p-trap outlet. To do that, I would need to cut the left upper tube and glue in a threaded connector. And then rework how the disposal connects. I think everything is ok for now. Also, the exit of the p-trap could have some more slope. Probably not the best setup--just a lot better. This space-saving design frees up a lot of room.

Here are some photos. For some reason, I enjoy working on this. It's like a puzzle.

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you wanted more drop thru the trap, you could switch to a straight "discharge tube straight "discharge tube" instead of the black curved one. There are things called "disposal kits" or "disposer kits" that include a straight discharge tube, and other stuff.

I think this is maybe what you were proposing.

With your present discharge tube, you could cut some off the lower vertical part of the discharge tube and raise the trap. I am not saying you need either of these if the current setup works well for you.

bmcgin

Reaction score
With this setup, the garbage disposal noise comes out of the middle sink drain. So I crisscrossed the tubes to minimize the sound as the T-connector has a baffle. (I had to borrow some parts from the McAlpine kit to get the full extension.)

I still may need to trim the T-connector to gain more slope. The problem is the left sink tube cannot be pushed down into the T-connector any further. So far.... working well...

sink3.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh.. I see. If you decided to rework this for some reason, you could cut that vertical below the connector, and instead have a Double Slip-Joint Sink Drain Elbow. That supposes that the vertical is 1.50 inch OD.

I expect it would need more changes beyond that. So declare victory.

bmcgin

Reaction score
Update on the triple sink piping saga. The last configuration had one problem. One of the sinks was collecting goo from the disposal. The disposal would shoot food up the sink. The connector piece did have a baffle, so one of the sinks was ok.

So I just installed the "Talea Three Kitchen Sinks Drain Pipe Kit" (from amazon). The idea is put the disposal on the center down pipe to give it a clear shot.

This kit is much more versatile than the other. All of the pieces can be shortened. I know I'm not supposed to have more than one connector after the p trap. Until it's a problem it's fine.

If this does not work, the next option will be a single downpipe with two disposal connectors.

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks