Toto Drake II making noises, new flapper?

Users who are viewing this thread

DannyDan

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake ii (1.28gpf) toilet which was installed roughly 3 years ago.
There appears to be some constant sound of flowing water coming from the tank, as if it's always refilling, but I am not noticing any leaks. What could be going on?

Reach4

Reaction score
Lift the tank lid. How high is the water with respect to the top of the overflow tube. It is normally about 1/2 inch.

Look at the refill tube from the fill valve to the top of the overflow tube. The opening of that tube should be held higher than the top of the overflow tube; there should be a clip holding the tube up.

No problem observed? Turn off the stop valve at the wall. Let the toilet sit for an hour without using it. The tank water level should have stayed the same. If the water level drops, there is a problem with the flush valve, which includes the flapper.

DannyDan

Reaction score
Does this imply the toilet is constantly using more water? This has been going on for several days, should I shut off the valve if I can't fix it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this imply the toilet is constantly using more water? This has been going on for several days, should I shut off the valve if I can't fix it?
1. Yes.

2. Maybe, but it is unlikely you cannot fix it if you are a little motivated.

DannyDan

Reaction score
If there's a problem with the flush valve/flapper, do I need to replace those? If so, how?

Reach4

Reaction score
o_O I was looking for something clever to say, but I decided against it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
lol, sounds like I should just call a plumber :)
You don't want to open the tank lid and try to interpret?

A plumber would have things working well very quickly. You might ask him to clean your faucet aerators at the same time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most Toto toilets use a flapper valve (as do most other brands). This is a simple replacement that likely won't take more than 5-minutes. Simply turn the water off...note the water level in the tank. Wait at least an hour, and longer if possible. It should NOT drop. One tell-tale sign the flapper needs to be replaced is if the outer rim is cupped and the middle is starting to sink. When new, the outer rim is horizontal (or almost). As it ages, the weight of the water on top will eventually cause the thing to start to sink, and eventually leak.

IF, when you look at the toilet, the fill valve is constantly running because water is draining down the overflow tube (i.e., too high) it's a different problem, also easy to fix for many people. That one depends on which fill valve is used in your toilet...Toto uses more than one brand. A picture of the insides would help define exactly what's there and how to fix it.

DannyDan

Reaction score
Adding a photo in case it helps. I can't see any issues offhand.

Attachments

• IMG_20171129_192002.jpg
    IMG_20171129_192002.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 317

Reach4

Reaction score
Adding a photo in case it helps. I can't see any issues offhand.
Turn off the stop valve at the wall. Let the toilet sit for an hour or more without using it. The tank water level should have stayed the same. If the water level drops, there is a problem with the flush valve, which includes the flapper.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yup, the water is gone in like 10 minutes...
That is not bad news, in that it may be easy to fix.
1. Is the chain a little loose, or tight? You want a little slack. If the chain is kinked up or otherwise tight, adjust to give a little slack.

2. If that was not it, lift the flapper and wipe the seat that it contacts with a cloth. That is to get rid of any debris. Also wipe the flapper where it meets the seat.
Do I need to replace the flush valve, flapper or both?

3. If the above steps did not fix it, replace the flapper. You would probably want the Fluidmaster universal 3 inch flapper. https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/flappers/5403-universal-adjustable-3-flapper/ It can be red or green. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaster-Plastic-Toilet-Flapper/3085335 See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....eplacement-flapper-for-a-toto-drake-ii.69191/

It is possible you will need to replace the flush valve, but that is unlikely. Try the easy stuff first.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyDan

Reaction score
Thanks, ended up getting the korky 3060 because that was the only thing available in my home depot. Do you know what's the best setting for the drake ii? Seems to be adjustable between 1 and 8.
btw, isn't it odd that the Toto branded flapper only lasted 3 years?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, ended up getting the korky 3060 because that was the only thing available in my home depot. Do you know what's the best setting for the drake ii? Seems to be adjustable between 1 and 8.
btw, isn't it odd that the Toto branded flapper only lasted 3 years?
The instructions seem to say 6 for a 1.6 gpf model and 1 for a 1.28 gpf model. https://www.korky.com/sites/default/files/media/product/pdf/3060bp.pdf Maybe you could see if you get a good flush with the 1, and increase that if you are not getting a good-enough flush.

More chlorine can be harder on the flapper life.

Last edited:

DannyDan

Reaction score
Thanks. One last question - after replacing the flapper it seems that I need to flush and hold the valve down for a few seconds for a complete flush, whereas before I would just press down on it once and let go.
What did I do wrong?

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try setting the flapper to a higher number.
You could try connecting the chain a little closer to the end of the rod so that the flapper gets lifted higher.
You could try the Fluidmaster.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How long the flapper lasts is largely a function of your water quality. FWIW, Toto does not make the flappers...on most of their toilets sold in the USA, they buy them from Korky...essentially, they are the same. I think that the newer, adjustable ones might end up lasting a bit longer as the adjustment ring seems to help stabilize the center of the flapper. Time will tell.