Toilet Leak Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mav

Reaction score
So I have a toilet leak issue, whenever toilet is flushed it drips water right below the ceiling underneath.

It is on first floor and water drips on the ground level ceiling.

It was "supposedly" fixed by the previous owners, planning to completely remove the toilet and inspect.

Any advice what could it be? Like bad wax ring or a flange or something else? Thanks much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pull the toilet. If you play a garden hose into the closet flange, do you get dripping? That would indicate a hole in the pipe below the toilet.

If not, new wax may fix it. Do not let the toilet rock or lift on your new wax. Place toilet with no wax. Position shims. Lift toilet. Drop wax. Drop and tighten toilet.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pull the toilet. If you play a garden hose into the closet flange, do you get dripping? That would indicate a hole in the pipe below the toilet.

If not, new wax may fix it. Do not let the toilet rock or lift on your new wax. Place toilet with no wax. Position shims. Lift toilet. Drop wax. Drop and tighten toilet.

Always check the floor around the toilet. If your toilet is soft, you'll have to fix the floor or you'll lose your seal again.

Reactions: Mav

Mav

Reaction score
Always check the floor around the toilet. If your toilet is soft, you'll have to fix the floor or you'll lose your seal again.
Thanks, there is some water staining before we got in the property around the toilet but floor is not soft.

Are there any other tests I can do before I pull out the toilet?

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
So I have a toilet leak issue, whenever toilet is flushed it drips water right below the ceiling underneath.

It is on first floor and water drips on the ground level ceiling.

It was "supposedly" fixed by the previous owners, planning to completely remove the toilet and inspect.

Any advice what could it be? Like bad wax ring or a flange or something else? Thanks much.
try replacing the wax ring first. If that doesn’t work then it could be problem with the flange or there could be a pinhole in the pipe

Mav

Reaction score
Curious if there is a pin hole leak, does it mean bathroom floor needs to be ripped or it would depend on the location of the pin hole leak?

Wax ring is first and then will take one step at a time. Thanks

Mav

Reaction score
Twist, it is a wall mounted Gerber toilet and was leaking due to bad wax ring.

Any advice on the wax-less ring that can work in this situation? Thanks folks.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Twist, it is a wall mounted Gerber toilet and was leaking due to bad wax ring.

Any advice on the wax-less ring that can work in this situation? Thanks folks.
The zurn neo seal ring is the best gasket for those wall mounted toilets. You could also use the Fernco FTS3

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks