Today's 1/2" fixed copper pipe project

Users who are viewing this thread

duct tape pro

Reaction score
OUr house was built during an economic boom. There was a shortage of turn off valves so only toilets got the turn off valves, all taps run straight through so if a leak occurs, whole house has to be turned off.
Building inspectors turned a blind eye for that period of time many years ago, but now ....

While I've got one bathroom apart I was thinking about putting in a couple of ballcock turn off's for the other bathroom running along the same line.
It's fixxed with no lateral movement possible.

In thinking about what to do, my solution is likely substandard and I"d like to know what's the best way to fix this.

My idea was to take a standard 1/2 1/2 balcock, cut the pipe, slide on one end snug and cut minimal gap in pipe so I can slide other end over the pipe.

Unfortunately both ends of pipe won't be snug to valve on either end which to me is substandard.:eek:

I know you can buy slide over couplers for patch repairs,, but I've not seen anything like that with a turnoff included in it.

Suggestions please...:confused:

Thx in adv.

poorplmbr

Reaction score
First off I think you mean ball valve not balcock.....secondly if you are going to be soldering in a new valve then get a "slip" coupling (not slide over coupler) as well and just cut the pipe longer than you need for the valve....

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sioux Chief makes a ball valve with a 6" slip coupling soldered in to one end. I use them when I can't get the pipe to push apart. Menard's carries them.

Prashster

Reaction score
When I have to 'tap' a line like this in my house I cut a 8"-ish section out of the pipe. Call the opposite ends of the open section now A and B.

Then I solder a 4" piece to one end of the valve. Call the open end of that pipe C, and the other open end of the valve D. Make the contraption long enough so when you butt A to C, D seats fully into B.

Then slide a no-hub coupler over A. Then solder D to B. Then slide the coupler back over the A/C joint and solder it into place.

Abrade and flux everything shiny before assembly. Keep the valve open and use bread if you can't get the water to stop dripping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks