To reduce my Water Bill, can I adjust Shut Off Valve under Kitchen & Sink faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

tester22

Reaction score
Hi there, I am facing higher water bill, so i want to know, can if adjust SHUT OFF VALVE in QUARTER BELOW POSITION under Kitchen Sink & Washroom Sink to flow water lower down, so that I can get little less Water Bill.
If I adjust water flow under sink shut off valve, is there any problem after couple of years like SCALED and BLOCKING Shut Off Valve by Scaled etc. And because of this reason Water pressure can lower down in home because of Scaled.
Please let me know is this ok to save this way Lower water bill by adjusting Shut Off Valve or not ok.
Thanks

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Globe valves which are common under each fixture are designed to THROTTLE the volume.

Less volume less water usage (except at a toilet)

Fitter30

Reaction score
Cut down the volume at a kitchen sink for a lower water bill. How much do do u think u save. Don't flush nasty, shower with a partner might take more than twice as long. Poop at work! My second house the water sewer, trash bill is $95 with no water used. Take a cold shower.

Bannerman

Reaction score
When filling a sink, bathtub, washing machine or dishwasher, a lower water flow rate will only increase the fill time.

When flowing a non specific amount of water, such as while brushing teeth, then a lower flow rate will typically be sufficient, but throttling the flow rate by adjusting the stops under the sink will be unnecessary since the flow rate can be fully controlled at will using the faucet at the back/side of the sink.

One method to reduce water consumption will be to install a recirculation return loop and pump on the Domestic Hot Water system. This will usually substantially reduce the amount of water that is wasted waiting for hot water to arrive to distant faucets.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might install a water saving aerator often given away free in the community. since thats your wish Contact water company for water saving tips or guide you to another source cranking down angle stop is one way That I dont like. but there are better ideas to save water out there

royalflush001

Reaction score
Adjusting the shut-off valve under your kitchen and bathroom sinks is not a recommended way to lower your water bill. While it might seem like a quick fix, there are several downsides like reduced water pressure. Reducing water flow can encourage mineral buildup and scaling within the valves, potentially leading to complete blockage and the need for costly repairs.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The real question that should be asked is if the water bill was signifigantly higher and why. Its never because too much water was used at a faucet or toilet or shower unless they're dripping/leaking. Normal usage averages out. A spike in a water bill is usually caused by a toilet fill or flush valve being out of adjustment or a leak in the water main. Those are the places to look at first to save on a water bill.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I kind of disagree that water saver shower heads , low flush toilets , and low gpm sink and lav aerators do nothing but i cant proove it But I think you might save something worth while particularly if you are a real miser 5 or 10 bucks a month might be possible maybe more ? and if you are cheap like me check with city , county ,state and water company localyt they give all kinds of junk away to save water

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not saying that water saving devices don't actually save water, cuz they do. But the OP didn't install any of those
Hi there, I am facing higher water bill
I'm assuming they got a Higher then normal water bill which indicates something wrong with their normal system that needs to be properly diagnosed and fixt.

Changing to low flow fixtures / aerators / changing habits will then further reduce the normal amount of water they use on the daily.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Well I kind of disagree that water saver shower heads , low flush toilets , and low gpm sink and lav aerators do nothing but i cant proove it But I think you might save something worth while particularly if you are a real miser 5 or 10 bucks a month might be possible maybe more ? and if you are cheap like me check with city , county ,state and water company localyt they give all kinds of junk away to save water
When I installed 1.6 GPF Sloan Royal flushometers with new toilets the NY Archdiocese told me I saved them over $1,200 MONTHLY.

During the NYC "greater toilet change out" many of my accounts saved hundreds of dollars on their yearly water bills.

What NYC is guilty of is charging people 100% of their sewer tax by how much water usage they use.

Doubling the water usage for sewer tax makes sense as people no longer allow faucets to drip or waste water although we very, very seldom have any water shortage.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Turning off the hot supply stop to keep people from running the water until it is warm can work if they know that it never will otherwise a warm recirc will cut down on the amount of water from the HWT from going down the drain while they wait for it to run warm.

I remove (or disconnect) the water heaters from many jobsite washrooms and adjust the sink and urinal valves to shut off sooner.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
he might have wide open shower heads etc. I suggest he look elsewhere and think closing off flow with anglestops cranked open is bad idea

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
There is a major problem with flow restrictors in a shower head according to the ASSE white pages.

I had several cases where people were scalded because someone use a fixture or appliance and the volume drop in the CW supply caused a spike in the hot water and people were scalded. This is especially a concern on older shower body's that offer no protection.

Below is a thank you letter after I testified about scalding in court in Brooklyn NY

------ Original Message ------
To: tiegerplumbing@optimum.net
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2022 12:10 PM
Subject: RE: Brown case

We won!
100% liability against the defendants, i.e. no comparative negligence on plaintiff’s part.
Jury awarded total of 1.8 million.

Thanks for your help.

Irwin J. Weinstein

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Turning off the hot supply stop to keep people from running the water until it is warm can work if they know that it never will otherwise a warm recirc will cut down on the amount of water from the HWT from going down the drain while they wait for it to run warm.

I remove (or disconnect) the water heaters from many jobsite washrooms and adjust the sink and urinal valves to shut off sooner.

In a "civilized" country there are plumbing codes which have a minimum temperature requirement at the fixture.

NOT A Great idea limiting the GPM that is required at a WC or sink or urinal so there will be more stoppages because of less volume thus less scouring action.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
NOT A Great idea limiting the GPM that is required at a WC or sink or urinal so there will be more stoppages because of less volume thus less scouring action.
Before reducing the gallons flushed, workers were concerned that the flow would use too much water and simply stopped flushing the urinals. Given that the jobsite facilities have a finite amount of water, wasting water simply put the facility out of service sooner. If you think using a little less water results in more stoppages, you should see what running out of water does for stoppages!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In a "civilized" country there are plumbing codes which have a minimum temperature requirement at the fixture.
The users of the facilities are not "civilized" enough to make sure the door is closed and the heat is on. On Monday, one jobsite facility had the heat turned off and the A/C turned on. It was -15°C outside. I rob the available wattage from the water heater to run an additional space heater in the utility room to compensate for the level of stupidity and it was what prevented a total freeze-up.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Before reducing the gallons flushed, workers were concerned that the flow would use too much water and simply stopped flushing the urinals. Given that the jobsite facilities have a finite amount of water, wasting water simply put the facility out of service sooner. If you think using a little less water results in more stoppages, you should see what running out of water does for stoppages!
Well in "Modern societies" there was an invention in 1886 called a waterless urinal and Sloan modernized in the 1990.

If people don't like to waste water, why not install an incinerating toilet?

• As the name implies, an incinerating toilet burns human waste. The most common are standalone units, but systems are also available that connect multiple toilets to a central incinerating unit. Standalones are fueled by electricity, propane, natural gas or diesel. Typically, they incinerate waste after each use.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks