This isn't 1/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since I have posted here. Hope everyone is doing alright.

Just picked up another property. Removed a toilet, the supply valve was leaking so I shut off water, cut valve, and was about to slide on a sharkbite cap.....

The supply pipe was a hair bigger OD than the cap. So I tried a standard 1/2 toilet shut off I had in my kit. Again, same problem. The pipe looks like it's 1/2" but it's slightly too big for my 1/2" parts.

Any thoughts on what this pipe could be?

Other details:
-house built in 50s in Ontario, Canada.
-pipe is very thick.
-on closer look, cleaned, brushed pipe isn't copper colour. Is a silver color. Galvanized?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Possibly, but we would need a picture to be sure. How was the valve attached to the pipe? If it is galvanized, the valve would have to have been threaded on to the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Silver colored pipe?

A 50's home may have been a galvanized threaded nipple coming from the wall. Unless some work has been done since then.

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
My helper severed the valve. Before that I noticed it was the type I often see on older copper lines. Plastic oval shaped handle. Didn't see threads. But may have overlooked. Until the part where I tried sliding the shark bite on, I thought it was copper.

Anyhow, I will take pic tomorrow. Will also open up wall / basement ceiling. Hoping to see some sort of adapter to standard copper line....

Thanks for all replies.

Possibly, but we would need a picture to be sure. How was the valve attached to the pipe? If it is galvanized, the valve would have to have been threaded on to the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyhow, I will take pic tomorrow. Will also open up wall / basement ceiling. Hoping to see some sort of adapter to standard copper line....
You could take a magnet if you are in doubt about the pipe being steel. I doubt you are going to find copper there, but I expect you will find where to hold to let you unscrew the nipple so that you can screw the new nipple in. You might consider a brass nipple because new galvanized will probably emit rust until it has a patina/mineral coating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the pipe look like it may be chrome plated? Brasscraft has this one that is sweated onto the copper stub
Brasscraft.jpg