Users who are viewing this thread

The Update Plate

Reaction score
Terry. Thank You for letting me post this information about this product that I have developed. At this point it is my intention to just make as many plumbers and experienced handymen aware of the product. It will be available online shortly and I hope to get it into plumbing supply houses ASAP. It proved to be a great solution for challenging tub and shower valve replacements that I have done in the past and I am hoping it will help your readers as they try to solve their tub and shower valve repair dilemmas. Please go to the the links I provided. Watch the videos and take a look at my website. Again, thank you very much for the opportunity to post on your site.

Matt Francis, Charleston SC but a plumber in Boston Ma. for over 20 years. Still doing it in Charleston

After being a master plumber for over twenty years in two different states it became apparent to me that a better solution was needed when it came to replacing non-repairable, temperature fluctuating, usually two or three handle tub and shower valves. I began to look for a way to make tub and shower valve replacement easier, attractive, and more affordable.

Years ago, while working in a large apartment building in a Northeastern city, I was asked to replace a tub and shower valve that was low to the tub apron. It was a very rare type of valve that incorporated the hot, cold and spout. I knew that I could somehow make one of the repair plates that are on the market work but that the finished product at best would only look acceptable. I worried whether there would be enough room to make the pipe connections after opening the wall. I also knew that a person only gets one chance when doing an unforgiving type of job like this.

I wasn’t going to take any chances. I decided to have a repair plate made so that there would be no problem. After visiting my local stainless steel metal shop I was able to figure out a solution. They would make me what has become the original UPDATE PLATE. It provided a perfect solution for what I needed to do in this building. It gave me plenty of room, helped me do the job quickly and efficiently, and eliminated any cracked or waterlogged tile work around the original valve.

After doing many of these in this building and several in residential homes I realized that there could really be a need for an improved version and that it would be marketable. Actually, a good friend, who is also a plumber, gave me the idea and I decided to look into developing it.

The improved or UPDATED version looks much nicer and also allows the installer to fasten an unsecured tub and shower valve directly to it. It also gives the installer much more room to work when doing his or her piping. I hope that homeowners and contractors alike find the Tub and Shower Valve UPDATE PLATE to be a cost-effective solution to the modernization of tub and shower valve systems in homes everywhere.

A note for PLUMBERS on Tub and Shower Valve Replacement:

Don’t waste your time and the customer’s money out searching for parts, that most of the time you’ll never find, to repair their existing valve. Propose to them a new system while utilizing the UPDATE PLATE.

Most standard tub and shower valves will work perfectly with it and you’ll save them money as you modernize their tub and shower system. You’ll make a buck, they’ll be thrilled, and you’ll have no headaches having to do with callbacks or trying to give them a bill for work that you couldn’t complete.

For Tub and Shower valve Repair, This system will work as long as from the tub apron to the top of the handles of your existing Tub and shower valve system is 13.5 inches or less.

https://tubandshowervalverepairplate.com

Please feel free to contact me anytime regarding The Tub and Shower Valve UPDATE PLATE.
All contact information is on the website link above. Thank You for your interest.

Matt

US Patent #10323395

IMG_6029.jpg
IMG_6069.jpg
IMG_6064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're making this all too easy!
Just joking...........That does look like a nice way to give a guy room to pull and replace those old three handle valves.
But how come the video doesn't list more information? How does someone buy after seeing the video?

The Update Plate

Reaction score
You're making this all too easy!
Just joking...........That does look like a nice way to give a guy room to pull and replace those old three handle valves.
But how come the video doesn't list more information? How does someone buy after seeing the video?

Hi Terry. Anyone can go to the website and click on the direct link. You're right though, the easier the better for a potential customer. I will add those things to the video. Thank You. Matt

The Update Plate

Reaction score
Personally I think this is ugly, but save a lot of money

It is a solution to a problem. To make it look beautiful obviously the best thing to do is a new tile job. We advertise it as "LOOKS GOOD, PROBLEM SOLVED" not "LOOKS FABULOUS, PUT IT IN THE RITZ". This plate is perfect for older well kept bathrooms, multi unit apartment buildings, not renovation work. We believe it looks much better than other repair plates and provides an easier installation when replacing failing valves that are low or sitting right on top of the tub spout. Not sure if you have ever had to figure out a solution for a job like this but we feel that this plate would help you a ton and sell the job too.

Thanks for your feedback

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks