THE BEST heat tape for well house pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
I know there must be a commercial grade brand out there. Gets down in the low teens /high single digits here in winter time

Rockwind1

Reaction score
The best heat tape you can get is called a pitless adapter. Heat tape only works when there is power, and wells always freeze when the power is off.
Thanks Carey. I do have a pit less adapter but in my set up, the 1 inch PVC pipe that comes off the pitiless adapter goes underground for 30 feet to the pump House and then pops up into the pump house and goes through the wall into a big black storage tank, then another pipe comes off of another bulkhead adapter at the bottom of the storage tank and goes back to the well house where a jet pump takes over and it is where the pressure tank is, although the well house is insulated, I do like using the heat tape just to be extra safe inside The pump House is there are a lot of pipes doing different things. Like the jet pump is of course tied into the pressure switch and pressure tank and then it goes back down underground for the long run over to the barn and such places. obviously if the power goes out I am screwed But in the meantime I was gonna maybe replace my old heat tape that is on there

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are a few places where heat tape is the best option. But I still don't like counting on electricity to keep things from freezing. You would be surprised how much heat a big cistern or storage tank full of water can produce. It takes a long time to freeze a big tank of water like that. You can utilize that heat by cutting a big hole in the wall where the pipe comes through. A good insulated box over the pipe on the outside is needed. Then a big 12" hole instead of just a 1" or 1 1/4" hole through the wall for the pipe, will let heat from the well house keep the pipe from freezing. You could still use heat tape, but this way it may not be needed. There are lots of different kinds of heat tapes. The only ones I have used are the cheap, short ones found at the box stores.