Well pump conversion and new lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Norbert77

Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gentlemen I hope this day finds you well. I got a 47 year-old convertible jet pump setup that has always been giving us trouble, I want to convert to submersible. 60 foot head, 170 deep well. Low pressure, goes to a methane aeration tank, it will only need to run 20 psi Getting rid of well house and getting a steel extension welded on, so it will be exposed to the elements and I worry old line might not be deep enough. New setup will have a steel casing extension welded on. Does it need to be steel or can we use some thick plastic and a rubber gasket connection? There is methane in the well and I would hate to be the sucker to weld that.

In the ground from well house is a split to the house and to the barn, I want to eliminate that and run from well to house, then from house to the barn so I can drain barn line for winter. All the piles I think are black poly.

Can I run 3/4 PEX or should I go to larger? House has a 5gpm flow restrictor I can remove. Old well info shows about 6-8gpm supply. I don't know how the pipe connects to the well. Or is poly better for a occasional cold snaps? Or just go oversize just in case? I just need enough for a water bowl in the barn and maybe a small pressure washer. 40ft to house and another 60 to barn after.

Last but not least, the well house bottom and hose is 3 only 3 feet below ground I think I need more, but it is a heated house they probably got away with it.

What is the best way to seal the pipe coming into the house, to keep groundwater from coming in?

Lots of question, I got a local well guy I've been talking to but I always want a second opinion just in case. Thank you for your time

Reach4

Reaction score
1. For a house, I would not go smaller than 3/4 SIDR poly pipe. That is significantly larger ID than 3/4 inch PEX.

2. Extending steel casing... I don't know the rules there, but where I am, only welding is accepted.

3. Diameters... what diameter is the steel casing that you intend to extend? If 4 inch, I have some additional thoughts for you.

Norbert77

Reaction score
1. For a house, I would not go smaller than 3/4 SIDR poly pipe. That is significantly larger ID than 3/4 inch PEX.

2. Extending steel casing... I don't know the rules there, but where I am, only welding is accepted.

3. Diameters... what diameter is the steel casing that you intend to extend? If 4 inch, I have some additional thoughts for you.
I think it is 5"

Fitter30

Reaction score
How did u come up with 60 ' of head? How deep is the pump going to be? 3/4" poly? Total length of pipe? Is there a rise from well head to house? Any filters, water softer? Number of fittings, valves?

Norbert77

Reaction score
How did u come up with 60 ' of head? How deep is the pump going to be? 3/4" poly? Total length of pipe? Is there a rise from well head to house? Any filters, water softer? Number of fittings, valves?
Water level is 60' below surface. Pump will likely be 90-120.

All goes to house where it enters a depressurization tank to release methane, a second pump runs everything else in house

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a 1/2 HP pump 10 gpm would the job. A 7 gpm pump is more pump than you need, so you can use the cheaper 10 gpm pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks