Tall Skinny Pressure Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMane

Reaction score
I have the Water Worker 86 GAL at 26" and I just bought the Water Worker 44. The 44 is 22"

there is another brand that has 20" at 54 gal - Zilmet.

I have seen videos that look like they have even skinner ones.

Anyone know the Tallest Skinniest Pressure Tank with most capacity?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
All tanks mentioned on this thread have diaphragms.

WX-252 WX-302 are both 86.0 gallon Well-X-Trol tanks. Valveman has observed that the shorter wider tanks are more likely to last longer, but I don't find the reference. It makes sense to me.

The Goulds tanks have nice-looking features.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have the Water Worker 86 GAL at 26" and I just bought the Water Worker 44. The 44 is 22"

there is another brand that has 20" at 54 gal - Zilmet.

I have seen videos that look like they have even skinner ones.

Anyone know the Tallest Skinniest Pressure Tank with most capacity?
If you are having problems with space for a pressure tank just use a PK1A kit with a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank instead. The Cycle Stop Valve system with the small tank will work better, making your pump last longer, and deliver strong constant pressure to the house and showers.

pk1a-md.jpg

BobMane

Reaction score
Goulds has a 26" diameter tank that is 115.9 gallons.

Diaphragm tanks which are considered superior generally (but not always) are short and stout. Tall ones tend to "roll" the material back and forth more so than short ones. Bladders get squeezed and stretched and so tend not to last as long as diaphragms.
I am OK going down a bit in capacity but I want skinnier not wider. Like I said I found 20" at 54 gal - Zilmet. I am trying to beat that ratio if possible

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm just raising the point that fatter is better so if you can currently fit a 26" diameter but want more capacity, you can get larger tanks that are 26" in diameter.

BobMane

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of that but was just pointing out that some of the skinny tanks might have bladders.
I understand I did read that skinnier ones might not last as long due to diaphragm issues. and you seem to reinforce that. Too bad, would still like to find one that is skinnier than the 20" at 54 gal but that just might be the slimmest one.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The technology that eliminates big pressure tanks has been around for 30 years, it is not new. Pump manufacturers just keep it a secret trying to keep everyone in the dark ages, replacing pumps and big pressure tanks often and regularly. I still use large 80 gallon size pressure tanks. But it is to replace a water tower or 20,000 gallon pressure tanks on systems that do thousands of gallons per minute and supply water to hundreds or thousands of homes by using one 80 gallon pressure tank.

Here is a picture of a system that feeds about 6,000 people using Cycle Stop Valves on the pumps and an 80 gallon pressure tank.

INOVA COMPLETE LARGE A.JPG

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Here is a picture of a system that feeds about 6,000 people using Cycle Stop Valves on the pumps and an 80 gallon pressure tank.
Is that one of those tanks with a replaceable bladder that you need to stuff down through the bunghole at the top? I hear they are a nightmare to replace.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is that one of those tanks with a replaceable bladder that you need to stuff down through the bunghole at the top? I hear they are a nightmare to replace.
Yes that is a bag type bladder style tank. Customer requested it as it is fiberglass and this systems sits next to the ocean where corrosion is an issue. While bladder tanks don't last as long as diaphragm tanks, and fat diaphragm tanks last longer than tall ones because there is less stretch on the diaphragm, all types of tanks last a long time when used with a Cycle Stop Valve. The large system pictured was installed in 2004 and is still using the original tank.

On a large three pump system like that the CSV on the small pump keeps the system pressure at a constant 60 PSI nearly all the time, and the bladder in the tank does not move. When more water is used the pressure drops to 55 PSI and the CSV on the second pump maintains 55 PSI constant, and the bladder in the tank does not move. At 50 PSI the third pump comes on and the CSV maintains 50 PSI constant, and the bladder doesn't move. When people stop using water the pressure goes back up to 60 PSI and stays there for hours. The bladder in the tank contracts and expands slowly only 3-4 times a day, so even bladder style tanks last a long time.

A CSV holds the pressure constant while people are using water. So, the size of the tank is almost a moot point as the bladder or diaphragm doesn't move much and the tank can be very small as it is not doing anything.

Water comes from the well, cistern, pond, or other source, not the pressure tank. The only job of the pressure tank is to limit the number of pump cycles. When you have a Cycle Stop Valve to do that for you, a large pressure tank is a waste of money and space.

BobMane

Reaction score
Cary Austin is sometime helpful but jumping on threads is a bit much. All I was asking is about tank and nothing else

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Cary Austin is sometime helpful but jumping on threads is a bit much. All I was asking is about tank and nothing else
Sorry Bob. But I have been doing this so long I can see the problems you don't know you are having and the problems you will have in the future. Please excuse me for trying to solve all your problems with one easy solution. If you want me to just agree that a tall, skinny, pressure tank will last any time to speak of or that going down in tank capacity is alright when not using a CSV, I can't do that.

Nearly every problem with a water pump system is caused by cycling the pump on and off. You would't be worried about tank size and capacity if that wasn't the case. But I will respectfully stop helping and let you make your own mistakes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks