Sump Pump Install Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Bert Lee

Reaction score
I have a double sump system in my basement main (brand new installed 2017 Zoeller M63) and backup (2013 Zoeller M98). Looks like 18" x 30" basic plastic sumps. For 9 months from last Dec to this Sept neither pump ever came on. Now the main runs constantly. a couple minutes on to empty, off 15-20 seconds then right back at it. Making me crazy. Range of float motion on these pumps is small so I expect them to work more often and I recently installed two new quiet check valves that I am also not in love with yet.

A couple niggling questions that I cannot find answers to though:

1) what is the correct depth for the pump to sit in the sump? Much of what I see shows them sitting on the bottom or slightly raised. My main is sitting on a cinder block, and a 1.5" patio block. Both the main and backup were set up even higher on a double layer of patio block but I lowered them on block less (deeper) on the
reinstall. Not sure what is right.

Should the main pump and backup pump be installed at the same relative heights? The backup was, and remains, a bit higher than the main. I assumed there was a reason for this.

Is there a consideration for the water table when determining the install depth? Is there a way to know this?

Thank you