Pumping solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hi,

The city's water main break on a 12-inch pipe flooded my church's basement. It made me think about my home, a couple of blocks away. I have a true sub-basement with a French drainage system. It has a sump pit with a sump pump and a marine battery backup sump pump. I think that setup is good. I wanted to know what kind of pump would I need in case of a flood of water not caused by the sump pit and the pumps can't keep up and I have two feet of water in the sub-basement. That means I have to pump water out of the sub-basement up a flight of stairs through the garage and up a sloped driveway. That driveway is steep like a flight of stairs and about 15 feet. Is this even doable for a pump? Potentially 50 feet in total with two serious inclines.

Thanks a bunch.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you want a pump as a standby or have one on hand just incase? As far as pumps, look up what you need and most will have specific sheets. You may have to go to the manufacturer web site. Look for Feet of Head. Your home probably is 20' or less. 50' is a four story building.

A basement full of water can be thousands of gallons And will take most the day or two to pump dry.

Reaction score
Thanks just a pump in case. The distance from back of the small sub-basement to the the street is the fifty plus feet. So my understanding is that I am really dealing with 20' of elevation head to deal with. ok it's time to do some research. Thanks again.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Trash pump can be either electric or gasoline. All depends what you want to do and how much money. Trash pumps don't use a float switch most use a 2" hose that can be reduced.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks just a pump in case. The distance from back of the small sub-basement to the the street is the fifty plus feet. So my understanding is that I am really dealing with 20' of elevation head to deal with. ok it's time to do some research. Thanks again.
50' of lift is 50' of head. Converted to pressure the pump needs to be able to make 22 PSI, which is the same as 50' of head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks