Starting Water softener search

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Knots

Reaction score
Staring the process of getting a new water softener, been going thru the various threads on here.

Ordered Hach 5b test to get a more accurate measurement but i have ppm tested the water between 250-275ppm in the past (city water). Expecting to come somewhere in the range of 14-17ish

Its just myself but i do have visitors a couple times a year. Just finished paying off house so there is always the possibility i rent and move if the market pukes and i can get a deal (not holding breath). So i would like to get a system that supports more people (3bed/2bath) if plans change. I understand i may give up some efficiency. Im guessing i probably will be in the 32K range?

I ripped out an old defunct rain soft system that hasnt been used in years so i have easy access and its currently setup for whole house (including the 2 bibs outside). 3/4" pvc was used.

Probably will diy since i have an easy access point. I know throw tomatoes, but im way over budget on some other projects.....thank you inflation.

Also contemplating whole house backwash catalytic (i believe) to deal with the excess chloramine/extra goodies in water.

Couple of questions i could use some help with as i go along.

1. Any know of local suppliers / supply houses near me in orlando / sanford FL area that they recommend?

2. Any real reason in my small setup to go clack vs fleck or vice versa in my small setup? I realize there are supply shortages on everything right now so im guessing im going to be pinned by that. Im all about reliability but i dont think i want to put the project on 6 months either if one company is affected by the chain horribly.

3. If i decide to add a backwash carbon what are the ramifications of this? I understand the chloramines are there to kill the nasties in the pipes etc. So what happens if i remove all this? Is there some sort of maintenance i need to do to keep them from building up in my own pipes? (ie. like bypass for a day or 2 per month to let chloramines run thru the pipes). This is the really my worry about a whole house filter.

I'll have some more questions to come shortly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the hach 5b test account for any iron that may be present?
No, but any iron will settle out in the pipes before it hits your house. So there will be no iron to compensate for.

Don Knots

Reaction score
Having trouble locating any local clack people. I did find one, shows a pic of clack unit on the site for roughly $1150 for a 32k softening unit. After speaking with them apparently its a fleck due to clack being out of stock. Not really thrilled with some of the reviews im reading of the place, they seem to remind me of a previous employer. But they are internet reviews so who knows.

Is $1150 somewhat in the ball park or does it seem excessive? This is system only, diy. Install is extra $500. Was thinking this is a little excessive on the system price but then again i dont know the industry so im just comparing to my own (IT). I understand they're may be some difference in components between local and online but this is almost double. Im figuring labor not to far off.

Looking for something quality but not looking to be bent over either :).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks