Standard Moen Valve/trim kit to Posi-Temp Moen valve/trim kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Samfran

Reaction score
I just bought a house built in 1990. All three bathrooms have Moen standard trim kits (escutcheon screws at 5:00 and 7:00). All are leaking at one point or another (shower head, spout, etc).

As a rookie, I bought some Moen combo kits that include tub spout, shower head, posi-temp cartridge/escutcheon. Can I replace standard with posi-temp without having to take the wall apart? I have attached pictures of the existing escutcheons.

The three Moen kits I purchased are the Ashville 82877 - tub/shower, the Banbury 82910 - tub/shower and the Adler 82604 - shower only. All have the posi-temp valve and trim kit.

Do I need to return these and find standard kits? Any help would be appreciated. I have a plumber to install them but don't know that I have the correct kits. I don't want them to have to charge for two service calls as it is already money I hadn't planned on spending right now.

Thanks!!
Sam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 928
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,091
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,184

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just bought a house built in 1990. All three bathrooms have Moen standard trim kits (escutcheon screws at 5:00 and 7:00).
Do I need to return these and find standard kits?
Thanks!!
Sam

Sam,
The Posi-Temp cartridge won't work, and the Posi-Temp trims won't work on those. Return what you have bought.
Moentrol trims will work and they also take the same cartridge.
1200 or 1225
You will need the Moen 145058 conversion piece that allows you to use the Moentrol trim with the old chateau body.

moen-145058.jpg

Moen 145058

index.php

Or you can pick up the old style Chateau trims too. Those come with the crystal knob or with a lever.
https://www.moen.com/support/Chateau/Chateau_Chrome_standard_shower_only/TL473

moen-chateau-valve.jpg

The old style before pressure balancing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks