Solenoid Help

Users who are viewing this thread

FloridaMatt

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a well. The well pumps to a bladder tank. This bladder tank pushes water to an aerator tank. The aerator tank has a float switch that goes out to a solenoid-controlled valve.

The tank stopped filling. I traced the problem back to the solenoid.

The solenoid that was installed was 110 vac, but all I can find are 24 volt solenoids. The valve that is being used looks like an irrigation unit. The manufacturer is Hit and the unit is 220-000.

I need to get the water back on in our house (without having to go out to manually fill the tank every so often), but ordering a replacement for this unit is pretty impossible.

Is it possible to use a 24 volt solenoid if I put a 24 volt transformer between the float switch and the solenoid?

Reach4

Reaction score
Seems to me that should work fine. You are essentially converting a 24 VAC solenoid valve to a 120 VAC solenoid valve.

I don't understand your system. Is the aerator tank under pressure? The input to the solenoid valve is the aerator tank? What is the output of the solenoid valve?

FloridaMatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The system came with the house and feels a bit convoluted.

The well pumps to a bladder tank that then sends the water to the aerator tank. The aerator tank sprays the water to remove the sulfur. The aerator tank pump then moves the water to a second bladder tank that pushes the water to the water softener and then to the house.

The solenoid valve is 110 vac and is on the outside of the aerator tank. It's controlling the water level in the tank. When it gets too low, the float switch triggers the solenoid and the well pump kicks on and fills the aerator tank. It's a pretty big holding tank of water.

The problem I have is that the solenoid burnt out (I'm guessing). I put in a 24 v one, but it ran too hot and blew, which leads me to the next idea that if I put a step down transformer between the float switch and a 24 v solenoid valve, it would fix my problem basically using parts from Home Depot.

I'm just not sure if that's going to fix my problem, or if I can put in a transformer outside the house (where the tank is located).

So basically, my system is this:

Well pump
Bladder tank
through a solenoid valve connected to a float switch
into an aerator tank to remove sulfur
pumped to a second bladder tank
to a water softening system
to the house

Reach4

Reaction score
If further repairs are needed in the future, you could consider replacing the aeration system with a catalytic system that would keep the whole system under pressure.

This is not to say that your current system is not very effective. But there are alternatives that did not exist when your system was built.

I suggest a water test on your raw water to help know what would be required to treat your water. I like Kit60 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ . They mail the sample kit and provide a prepaid mail label for the kit return.

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
They have 115v & 230v Contactors that comes out to 24v, I like Square D products.

Attachments

• 1442416707072.jpg
    1442416707072.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 633