So all of a sudden the pipes throughout the house started rattling when running the dishwasher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Linda Kircher

Reaction score
I thought it was the dishwasher because it was 13 years old and I had been having issues. So I bought a new dishwasher and low and behold, same problem. It even seems worse than before. So I think it happens when it is bringing water in. I was in the basement when it happened again last night and the pipes were rattling all the way on the opposite side of the house. So when I open a faucet, the rattling subsides. So I've been reading blogs and everybody talks about the dishwasher may have a bad intake valve or kinked line. But since this happened on the old dishwasher and the new dishwasher, I don't think it's the dishwasher. Could it be my water pressure. I recently turned it up just a hair because it was so low. It is not set hi at all so I hate to turn it back down. Any suggestions before I have to hire a plumber? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A fix may be to replace the shutoff for the dishwasher and to add a hammer arrestor with it.
A loose washer in a shutoff can cause a vibration and hammer arrestors help with banging of the pipes when the unit shuts off.

I like a quarter turn faucet that spins with a ball fitting and not the multi-turn that relies on a rubber washer.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I think it happens when it is bringing water in. I was in the basement when it happened again last night and the pipes were rattling all the way on the opposite side of the house. So when I open a faucet, the rattling subsides.
What does the rattle sound like? Like 6 sounds per second for many seconds, or what?

If you grasp the PRV during the rattling, is the sound affected much?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
It would be worse with a new dishwasher that really slams the water off. The longer runs of copper especially.

I can't count how many houses I've been in that have rattling pipes and people don't care as long as eveything works.

As mentioned, put a hammer arrestor on the dishwasher pipe or a shutoff with a built-in arrestor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks