Is it normal for water pressure to fluctuate when no water is running?

Users who are viewing this thread

GL77

Reaction score
I have an undersink water filter that has plastic tubing lines that jerk just a little when water has turned on or off in the house or yard, just so you hear them creak and you know water pressure has changed. Today I've been around the house all day and I have been hearing them doing that frequently throughout the day when I'm not running any water. My outdoor spigots are still closed off for the winter. The toilet's not running. I haven't done laundry or run the dishwasher. Single family home on city water. I don't have a PRV, pressure is fine without one. I'm just curious what would be causing these pressure fluctuations? Does it affect my water pressure when my neighbors run their water? I'm just curious. Is it normal?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In a perfect world you dont get noticeable spikes or hear your water pipes moving. but what you describe sounds relatively normal. Generally a neighbor flushing a toilet goes un noticed a block away or even next door.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plastic pipe can be pretty sensitive. Maybe a 1psi variance from time to time would be normal.

GL77

Reaction score
What type of water filter? Do you have an ice maker in the refrigerator?
I have an Apec 3 stage filter that goes to a drinking water faucet at my sink. It's really nice. I have tons of sediment in my water and it comes out the filter clear, albeit full of bubbles. I disconnected my ice maker in the refrigerator because I never use it.

GL77

Reaction score
In a perfect world you dont get noticeable spikes or hear your water pipes moving. but what you describe sounds relatively normal. Generally a neighbor flushing a toilet goes un noticed a block away or even next door.
Plastic pipe can be pretty sensitive. Maybe a 1psi variance from time to time would be normal.
Thanks, I figured it was probably normal pressure variations. If it weren't for the sound the plastic tubing makes, I'd never be aware of it. It's weird to think of though. Plumbing is so interesting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
water dosent "Give" much when contained in a pipe its almost like steel think of your hydrolic brakes on a car no matter how long that brake line is if you push fluid on one end a reaction will occur

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks