Single loud pop when water turned on AND off

Users who are viewing this thread

mesgmesh

Reaction score
Every time I turn water On OR Off I get one single loud click / pop coming from near (possibly in) my water heater.

The sound is louder if the water has not been run for a while, and it won't always make the noise especially if water was recently run, but if a faucet isn't turned on for 1-2 minutes it will always bang once the moment water is turned on and once about 1 second after water is turned off. It doesn't matter what faucet, toilet, shower, washer, whatever, it will always make the same single pop sound the same way.

Am I having an air-in-the-lines issue, or is it a check valve problem, or is my water heater is crapping out?

Some background:

single level home with inlet / outlet of the water heater being the highest point in the water pipes

50gal gas water heater about 15yrs old

Recently flushed, though I admit, I don't think I did a great job. It's a self-cleaning unit, so I'll pretend it actually self-cleans.

1 yr ago added a PRV to the main, set at 60psi

2yrs ago added a watts recirculating pump with one thermal control unit at the farthest faucet.

2months ago added a 1gal expansion tank to try to help the problem, that did nothing.

I *think* the problem started around when I added the recirculating pump, but honestly it's been long enough I can't pinpoint it, but it's been going on for at least 2yrs.

I've done a full house remodel in the past 4yrs and updated all faucets, but nothing beyond that.

I tried removing the check valve in the recirculating pump and that fixed it for one day, then the sound came back.

I just removed the entire recirc pump assembly and that did nothing.

The thermal valve is still in the system with no check valve. I'm going to remove that tomorrow.

I think I'm either getting air in the system or having a problem with check valves, but I know I don't know what I'm talking about. I've tried to clear air from the system numerous times to no long term success. Maybe I'm pulling a vacuum from a check valve that needs to be removed? I don't see any check valves on in or near the water heater.

Please let me know any ideas you may have, I'm loosing my mind on this one.

Any help or insight is massively appreciated!

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider turning off the water heater, and supply valve to the WH. See if flushing toilets or other cold water use causes the pop.

mesgmesh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I turned off water to the tank last night and that seems to have made the problem go away. The noise came back after turning the tank valve back on and running water for a few minutes.
Does this mean I have a check valve problem or a water heater problem? Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks