Simple water cooler problem I'm havin hard time fixing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack Burton

Reaction score
I live in an older mobile home and my main(only when it's real hot) source of cooling is a window mounted evaporative cooler.

It works fine, however the plastic water line supplying it has developed several cracks. The tape job I did isn't perfect and it certainly won't hold up forever, so I've been attempting a replacement of the line.

The big issue is this...what do i need to buy to keep my line retained in the fitting?

For an example of what I'm talking about, see below...

I have these which hook up to the fitting on my cooler itself....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA82A3DU8669&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-HI+-+Conduit+&+Fittings-_-9SIA82A3DU8669&gclid=CjwKEAjwutXIBRDV7-SDvdiNsUoSJACIlTqlRqJxScj7yiNcaFl4s1AG8DalV61kUUMUM7fnverQHBoC5h_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also bought this...

http://www.lasco.net/parts-c-2937_418_419_420/cooler-water-hookup-wpoly-t-p-6486.html#.WRZjRIjyuUk

I figured simple, i just take the new line and slide it thru some of this stuff and screw it all onto my cooler, good to go! Nice and easy fix...

The problem, other than that line being FAR too short for my needs(yeah I know, actually measuring beats assumptions, dock a point from the cocky home improvement mindset), is that there's nothing that keeps that line retained in the above linked nut. I can slide the line thru, i can hook it all up to my cooler attach point, but the line just slides right back out. The product i purchased contains nothing that actually keeps your line in its connection point, that actually keeps it in a nut like those i linked. What type of fitting or whatever else do i need to buy to accomplish that? What do you use to actually hold a line like this in place??

And if anyone has any recommended product, that'd be a big plus as well. Can you purchase an all in one kit that includes a line and EVERYTHING i would need to attach such a line?

Just another tidbit, i have no need for a faucet hookup, my issue doesnt stem from that aspect.

Might help further if i took some pictures of exactly what my specific needs are/connection points look like, ill work on that. But if this info alone is enough to get any more intelligent folks to offer some advice, please have at it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For those to work with plastic, you need the inside fitting that prevents the line from collapsing.

https://www.fixandfeed.com/category_s/2588.htm

inserts-quarter.jpg

Either that are some push fittings that seal with a rubber seal and you push the tubing into the fitting until it bottoms out.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=1/4"+push+fitting

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, seems quite simple then. Awesome. Only issue it seems is finding one that will screw onto my components. It appears all these are male fittings. I'll need a female end to actually screw onto my water hookup and my cooler itself.

I was also curious though cuz the previous owner rigged this all up without using such push fittings, although the previous line feels like it's rubber rather then plastic(actually thought it was an electrical wire until i found water spraying out of it) so perhaps that's why. Any words of wisdom on the differing lines? I know they have copper ones which are too rich for my blood right now, and then the plastic is the only other thing i've come across. Not sure what previous home owner used or if it's recommended over the plastic.

Here's some pics of the setup as is...

KIMG0794.JPG
This is the hookup to my cooler itself. You can see the ring at the aft/base of the nut there, that is what's holding the line in place. It's metal. Not sure what that part is exactly but it does not budge. Maybe it was part of this line to begin with, or is it simply some metallic fitting/ring for the purpose of holding a line in place?

Nonetheless, one end of the line screws onto the unit there.

KIMG0797.JPG
Here's the other end, hooks up onto the waterline of the place.

KIMG0798.JPG And just for comparison sake, this is the old line. That ring is on there TIGHT, keeps the nut/line from backing out when it's all screwed together. Here's the shit I bought...
KIMG0801.JPG
You can see the same type of ring, however you can also see the large gaps between it and the line. It appears the part i need to actually hold everything in place, that came with the damn product i bought, is too big for the line it came with. Defective product? Seems to be my problem.

Anyways, i figure id throw all that in in case it changes the advice, provides a better idea of what i'm dealin with and what i should use. Also, those last two pics hopefully might serve as a warnin to other folks, don't buy that product, LASKO is trashko.

Attachments

• KIMG0794.JPG
    KIMG0794.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 331
  • KIMG0797.JPG
    KIMG0797.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 321

Jack Burton

Reaction score
Oh and is the inside fitting you referred to the small cylindrical part with the flared end? Cuz i do have those. It does nothing to make the line actually stay in its fitting/nut though. Whole thing just slides right out.

Do i need to use one of these along with the push fitting or is it an either/or situation?

And these push fittings are just as simple as inserting the line thru, it alone will keep it from backing back out?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's either the push fittings, or nut and sleeve with the reinforcement that goes in the end of the tube that prevents the tube from crushing.

inserts-quarter.jpg

It looks like you have the nut and sleeve, but maybe not the reinforcing tubes that slide in the end. Well............the new kit has them as pictured above.

Jack Burton

Reaction score
Oh i have the reinforcing tubes there, just hadnt put them into the line yet.

Yeah, it would work if i had those white plastic sleeves that actually fit. The sleeves that came with the kit i bought are too big for my line. If i could just find some dang sleeves that actually fit tight and secure i'd be good to go. Guess i need to go to a local hardware store rather then shopping online, since apparently these products come with defective parts, be able to more easily return the item if need be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks