Shower Valve knocks and turns off water to a dribble HL - 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Letsfixit

Reaction score
I have a glacier bay HL-40 shower valve that started acting up. (i assumed it was the valve)

When I turn it from cold to hot it starts off fine and then at a certain point *clunk* it makes a clunk noise cutting off the flow of water and dribbling water out. I replaced the valve. Same issue.
The hot works fine and doesn't seem to let cold water in.

I left it for a few days, turned it, seemed fine, adjusted a water pressure flow screw and *clunk* it did it again and it wont quit.

Is this some kind of pressure feature / issue? Could there be some particle /stones buildup in the cold water line impeding it?

The sink in the bathroom works fine.

Any thoughts would be welcome thanks!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something with the pressure balance spool , remove clean and or replace

Last edited by a moderator:

Letsfixit

Reaction score
something with the pressure ballance spool , remove clean and or replace

Is the balance spool this whole brass part behind the valve? Or is it one of the screws?
The prior homeowner may not have followed the codes to the T.

Thanks for the help

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the balance spool this whole brass part behind the valve? Or is it one of the screws?
The prior homeowner may not have followed the codes to the T.

Thanks for the help
Yes its part of the "guts" inside the valve you gotta turn the water off to do this

Letsfixit

Reaction score
Okay, Let's see if these images work.

And yes that YouTube is what mine looks like.

What would you suggest after I have replaced the valve and having the same issue?

Thanks!

valve image.jpeg
valve image 2 .jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
............When I turn it from cold to hot it starts off fine and then at a certain point *clunk* it makes a clunk noise cutting off the flow of water and dribbling water out. I replaced the valve. Same issue...The hot works fine and doesn't seem to let cold water in.

During the dribble, it is hot or cold water? Definitely a strange problem. Anyone would replace the cartridge first.

https://www.ceramiccartridge-tw.com/category-Pressure-Balance-Valve-01.html
  • Does it do the same when the water flow is to the spout and not the shower head?
  • You have a pressure balancing valve, not a thermostatic valve, therefore, high temperature hot water should not affect the flow.
  • The two screws on the sides are "integral stop valves", not "water pressure flow". They should be at full open.
  • When you recreate the problem are you closing off the hot or cold water or opening it?

To clear any debris (doubtful) remove the cartridge and open the stop valves some to flush out anything that might be in there.

I couldn't tell from the parts list for this valve body if the stop valves have a seat washer. You can remove the stem and check it. It might be moving especially if you are closing off the valve when the problem occurs.

To be sure it's not a stop valve, with the cartridge removed, stuff a rag over the valve body, place your hand over the body and turn on the water with the stop valves. Adjust them the way you can usually make the problem occur. If it doesn't happen it's not the valves. BTW, water will come out of the spout and shower.

The cartridge is reversible should the hot and cold lines be reversed such in the case of back to back showers. You might want to try it reversed to see if it happens. I think it will still happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks