Shower Stem Stuck in Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaye H.

Reaction score
Hello,

Hope the picture is visible. I was trying to replace the stem and unable to use the stem wrench. I tried Home Depot 27/32 and 29/32 and can't seem to find anything to fit in that small gab to turn the base of the stem. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20191216_122146.jpg
    20191216_122146.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 20191216_122108.jpg
    20191216_122108.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 182

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you referring to the gap between the metal and the cement/wall board? You should be able to chip or cut that away.

MKS

Reaction score
Do you know what make this valve is?
That could help.
First picture shows what looks like a retaining clip on the bottom. Silver looking.
A six point socket maybe an option.
I have found knipex waterpump pliers to bite when others tools won't.
I would not muscle up until you know the make.

Kaye H.

Reaction score
No, the stem base don't think I need to cut the wall. This stem little different think it's a Gerber. Trying to turn the hex shape nut. I recently sprayed WD 40 to see if it turn

Attachments

• 20191218_010600.jpg
    20191218_010600.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 203

Kaye H.

Reaction score
That could help.
First picture shows what looks like a retaining clip on the bottom. Silver looking.
That could help.

Kaye H.

Reaction score
I think Gerber the diverter looks totally different and was easy to turn. I sprayed with WD 40. Aiming to turn hex shape nut.

Attachments

• 20191218_010518.jpg
    20191218_010518.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 196

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Spray some lubricant on the stem base, to loosen some of the corrosion and let it sit.
Use the proper size wrench from your set, place it on the stem and use a 12" adjustable wrench to rotate counterclockwise. Place the adjustable wrench where the stem wrench is in contact with the stem.
If you are still unable to turn the stem, replace the rough in body. If you have a closet on the other side of the wall, cut an access hole in the drywall to do the rough in change over.

SWong

Reaction score
I once had some undersink basin nuts which were a nightmare to loosen. I ended up using a appropriate 1/2-inch 5-point impact Harbor Freight impact socket with a 12-INCH ratchet with extension bar to get them loosened. Desperate times call for thinking "out the box". With the price of having to call in a licensed plumber at record highs here in the city even if I must purchase a specialty tool to complete the task it's still worth it in the long run. Having had to call in a plumber recently to replace a failed closet lead bend I've also a finer appreciation for tools such as a soil stack cutter. Amazing tool but a typical homeowner would never use this tool but once in his life ... if that!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks