Shower Odor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hello. Whenever I turn on the upstairs master shower, there's a foul egg/burnt hair odor coming out from the drain. Only occurs in this shower and no other drains have this odor. I've tried grease/hair dissolver many times, vinegar & baking soda, etc. Nothing has worked. I'm assuming the sewer gasses are being "released" when the p-trap seal is broken when the water starts flowing. Doesn't smell when the shower isn't on. There's also a jetted tub in the same bathroom but that doesn't produce any odor when turned on.

Could this be a blocked vent? If so, would this shower be the only area affected? Kind of at a loss. Thank you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
when did it start happening? has bathroom been modified remodeled or something?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess running a snake down might help maybe a bunch of hair etc some how effecting trap seal

Reach4

Reaction score
The smell comes from that shower drain, and there is not a floor drain nearby that you might be smelling, right?

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Nope. No floor drain. Just shower and tub drains.
I snaked the drain with a 25ft.snake...nothing came up. Also, I notices that the standing water in the shower drain trap shakes/vibrates when the toilet in the same bathroom is flushed. Doesn't look like the water level drops but there's definitely movement in the standing water. Would that indicate a venting issue?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes it does arise question of proper venting. maybe you always had the problem but the pipes just didnt have that stink going on. y6our losing the trap seal and in a properly plumbed system it only can happen by blockage or somethin g like that but I wouldnt assume its built right either

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks