Shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevehere

Reaction score
My house was built in 2006.
I have a bathroom upstairs that has a shower enclosure. It is all plastic as one unit. There is a center drain hole.
I now have a small wet patch on the ceiling below which as it is directly under the shower drain must be from that.
I opened up the silver cover plate and what you see in the pictures I have attached is what is there.
My first thought as a hopeful easy fix is to caulk around the outside of the drain pipe, the small gap that is between the edge of the pan and the center pipe.
However that gap has been there all the time without any issues until now. If I caulk it, will I then have a build up of water as it has no where to go? Where does that water drain to now?
Thank you

Attachments

• Shower1.jpg
    Shower1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Shower2.jpg
    Shower2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 115

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe looks to be too short there. If you can't seal it from the top, you may need to replace the drain or the pipe. You may be able to hook the pipe and slide it up higher.

Stevehere

Reaction score
The pipe looks to be too short there. If you can't seal it from the top, you may need to replace the drain or the pipe. You may be able to hook the pipe and slide it up higher.
Thank you for the reply Terry. There is no play in the pipe as it is attached to whatever it is on the drain cover. Knowing what that looked like would help.
My thought now is to caulk it but all the way up to the top of the center pipe so water has somewhere to go.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen standing in the shower, does the pan flex at all? Put a glass of water on the pan and move around, maybe have someone down low looking at the glass to see if the water moves around. Many of those joints between the pipe and the drain are friction/compression fits rather than being cemented together. Can't tell for sure on yours, but if it's a friction fit, over time with movement, the pipe could slide out a little.

Stevehere

Reaction score
I did the glass of water test and nothing moved.
I have decided to use putty to fill in the outer edge and see what happens. At least I will know if it is that or the pipe.
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks