Shower drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

nbg

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me. My parents passed away and left my brother and I their house. The house is in need of many repairs, it's probably over 35 years old or more. It is a townhouse and the shower drain leaked through the ceiling. The drywall underneath was removed and we could see a gasket that was pushed out at the bottom of the shower drain body to seal it at the pipe above the trap area. (sorry if i'm using wrong terminology, i'm not that familiar with plumbing). The problem i'm running into is that the shower drain body appears to be one piece. It looks to possibly be something that came integrated with the shower pan. I would like to fix the leak correctly. I'm not certain if i need to cut out the drain body that is there now to replace with a new one. Or if I can get proper gaskets to reseal this one. There was what looked like old and brittle plumbers putty right as the drain cover was removed, beneath that was a metallic type "donut" that went in between the pipe and inside of the drain body and under that was a brownish/black gasket that had failed. If someone could look at the pics and point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. The bathroom hasn't been used in over a year. Sorry it is pretty dirty at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes that drain is integral to the shower base.
There is no way to tighten it or replace the gasket.
You need to terminate the drain with extreme prejudice with out destroying the shower base...
Then install a new drain...

nbg

Reaction score
thanks redwood. Any particular tool or technique you'd suggest in termination?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes you can seal with a rubber donut,
Or you could use oakum and hot lead, and after cooling use a tool to tighten the lead in place.

Pouring a Lead Joint

mark_13.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks