Shallow well, pressure issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Tpoirier

Reaction score
I have a shallow well, the 94L105 pump is about 18 years old, the point has been in the ground longer than that. Recently it started running constantly just a few lbs before being up to pressure. I put a new pressure switch on it and it the issue went away for a couple weeks but it's back again. It's set right now to cut off at about 40lbs.

I plan to replace the point (it's past due, I'm sure) but the pump has been getting pretty warm (not quite hot, but with winter ground water even warm is a big change) and I'm wondering if I should be thinking about replacing pump parts at the same time I have the water off in the house - impeller, etc. Also, where would the best place to order the parts be?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Recently it started running constantly just a few lbs before being up to pressure. I put a new pressure switch on it and it the issue went away for a couple weeks but it's back again. It's set right now to cut off at about 40lbs.
If you are saying that the pump cuts on at 20 psi, but does not run for around a minute or more before cutting off at 40 psi, that would usually mean that the pressure tank needs replacing.

Tpoirier

Reaction score
If you are saying that the pump cuts on at 20 psi, but does not run for around a minute or more before cutting off at 40 psi, that would usually mean that the pressure tank needs replacing.
The pump turns on when it should but never builds pressure completely to shut off. Pressure tank would make sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score

Tpoirier

Reaction score
It is building up to about 39/40psi. It was shutting off at about 42psi after I put the new pressure switch on.

Yes, it's very similar to that pump. Perhaps an older version of it. It's a Doit Right brand but I'm sure someone else made it and they slapped their sticker on it.

Tpoirier

Reaction score
4953E81C-8F7F-4E9A-AA66-366AE689BC00.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo of the water intake end, particularly the part below the incoming water pipe.

However getting up to 39 psi with a clogged jet/nozzle seems unlikely. But it may be partially clogged.

So time for a new 1/2 hp jet pump? Maybe. If it were me, when installing the new pump, I would put a combo vacuum/pressure gauge on the input line. Knowing what vacuum develops could distinguish a clogged sand point vs a pump that is not sucking enough. Of course the more stuff you add, the more places for a possible vacuum leak.

Tpoirier

Reaction score
How about a photo of the water intake end, particularly the part below the incoming water pipe.

However getting up to 39 psi with a clogged jet/nozzle seems unlikely. But it may be partially clogged.

So time for a new 1/2 hp jet pump? Maybe. If it were me, when installing the new pump, I would put a combo vacuum/pressure gauge on the input line. Knowing what vacuum develops could distinguish a clogged sand point vs a pump that is not sucking enough. Of course the more stuff you add, the more places for a possible vacuum leak.
I'm at work right now and heading to my girlfriend's for the night/weekend. I'll likely be able to get a photo tomorrow but I'm not positive.

A combo gauge - interesting. I do have a pressure gauge on it. Didn't about combo gauges.

Reach4

Reaction score
PCT330_1-B.jpg

The SupplyHouse listing has the wrong picture.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The depth it has to lift from will affect the pressure it can build which could explain the few PSI difference. A pump that max's out at 42 PSI needs to be remediated. You can test the pump by drawing water from a barrel to rule out a minor suction leak.

A suction leak can sound like rocks inside the pump but then so too can cavitation from trying to draw from too far down neither of which should be present when testing.

Tpoirier

Reaction score
The depth it has to lift from will affect the pressure it can build which could explain the few PSI difference. A pump that max's out at 42 PSI needs to be remediated. You can test the pump by drawing water from a barrel to rule out a minor suction leak.

A suction leak can sound like rocks inside the pump but then so too can cavitation from trying to draw from too far down neither of which should be present when testing.
I'm only drawing up 15'-18' or so. It's a new issue, the depth hasn't changed.

Tpoirier

Reaction score

The filter on the wall is from a previous incarnation (I upgraded to all Pex a couple years back) and I haven't tied it into the new lines.

Attachments

• F7A52678-2628-4A92-8C59-BCC5C72DF1AB.jpeg
    F7A52678-2628-4A92-8C59-BCC5C72DF1AB.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 94

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I doubt there are any repair parts for that pump. It says has a max pressure of 79 PSI. Lifting from 18' it will only build about 70 PSI max. It should not have any problems reaching 40 PSI to shut off. A suction leak won't leak water out, but leaks enough air in to make the pump lose prime and just stop pumping.

Tpoirier

Reaction score
I doubt there are any repair parts for that pump. It says has a max pressure of 79 PSI. Lifting from 18' it will only build about 70 PSI max. It should not have any problems reaching 40 PSI to shut off. A suction leak won't leak water out, but leaks enough air in to make the pump lose prime and just stop pumping.
I have not lost prime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks