shallow well drawdown tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

myk3ha

Reaction score
Hello All: West central FL, here. I'm in the process of vetting shallow well drillers to sink four new 10 foot points on 20 feet of pipe through water table at 13 feet and hardpan at 20 feet. Most of the drillers are confident of finding plenty of water on the other side of the hardpan. The pump's fine BTW and there are no leaks on the suction side but I'm still not getting water.

One driller wants to use what he calls drawdown tubes which he describes as 3/4" schedule 40 pipe inserted inside the well pipe from which to draw the water instead of directly from the 1-1/4" well pipe. I don't yet know how deep these will go but assume not more than the requisite 25 feet of pump lift.
I've never heard of this method before and can't find any information on this so that's why I'm here.

Can someone please explain the purpose of these tubes and why I should or shouldn't use them because I'm disinclined to and want to be better informed when I meet with the driller in a day or two.

Thanks, Mike

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't understand why go shallow well. Usually a 2.5-3.0" pipe is rammed into the ground, then the pump pipe is inside the casing, very common. S. Florida shallow wells up to about 40' are high in iron. At my house in Lake Worth the casing when down 83' to hit water. Hydrostatic pressure brings the water to about 15-20. Ft. And I used an irrigation pump. The well diggers know best, take their advice.

myk3ha

Reaction score
I don't understand why go shallow well. Usually a 2.5-3.0" pipe is rammed into the ground, then the pump pipe is inside the casing, very common. S. Florida shallow wells up to about 40' are high in iron. At my house in Lake Worth the casing when down 83' to hit water. Hydrostatic pressure brings the water to about 15-20. Ft. And I used an irrigation pump. The well diggers know best, take their advice.
Because a 120 foot deep well costs $9,000 here and dropping four points will be $1600 when I reuse my good suction lines, pump, and tank. I wish I had your faith in well drillers but I don't and that's why I posted here to find out the purpose of drawdown tubes in a shallow well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks