Septic System - Outlet/plug inside pit - is this an acceptable install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Wright

Reaction score
Hello! I purchased a home 4 months ago, and included septic work in my contract when the system failed inspection. I'm currently having an issue (the red warning light went on advising me that I had high water levels). This is a photo of the inside of my pit. I see there is a plug inside the tank, and some moisture in the outlet box. After further investigating, it seems that a lot of people have a post outside of the pit as opposed to a plug inside like I have.
Does anyone know if this is a common/proper way to install? And follow up, I know codes vary from place to place but I have heard that this is not code in some areas. Can anyone help me to confirm that?

Thank you!!
Lisa

Attachments

• septic.jpg
    septic.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 632

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the power needs to be outside the pit in a weatherproof box. If your pump or float switch goes out, the electric controls will be underwater and cost you a small fortune to get an electrician to make the repair. Just bore a hole in the side (near the top obvously); install a 2" longturn 90 and pipe it to the surface. Use the pipe as a conduit to route your wires up and out. if you have a little money to play with, personally, i'm a huge fan of septronics. Their products are pretty slick. You may want to get one of those insulated fake rocks to protect all of it.

If your water level is high, unplug your float switch and plug the pump directly into the live power. If the pump comes on, you have a bad float switch. If the pump doesn't come on, you'll have to pull the pump. If may be clogged and easy to unclog; you may have to replace the pump. $300-500 depending on the pump. http://www.homeservicestriad.com/

V-Navigator.jpg

Lisa Wright

Reaction score
the power needs to be outside the pit in a weatherproof box. If your pump or float switch goes out, the electric controls will be underwater and cost you a small fortune to get an electrician to make the repair. Just bore a hole in the side (near the top obvously); install a 2" longturn 90 and pipe it to the surface. Use the pipe as a conduit to route your wires up and out. if you have a little money to play with, personally, i'm a huge fan of septronics. Their products are pretty slick. You may want to get one of those insulated fake rocks to protect all of it.

If your water level is high, unplug your float switch and plug the pump directly into the live power. If the pump comes on, you have a bad float switch. If the pump doesn't come on, you'll have to pull the pump. If may be clogged and easy to unclog; you may have to replace the pump. $300-500 depending on the pump. http://www.homeservicestriad.com/

V-Navigator.jpg
Michael - I appreciate the detailed explanation, and that you included some possible solutions. All straight forward and easy to follow. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks