Septic smell in yard

Users who are viewing this thread

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
Hello. We just finished a new house. Been living in it about 3 months. A few weeks ago when we got our first cool evening, I noticed a septic smell along the front of the house. We live on top of a hill, on a slightly slipped hillside. After looking at the tank and field and finding nothing, I got up on the roof and the source of the smell is our vent.
It was only about 12” out of the roof so I added a longer section. It’s still below the ridge so you can’t see it when you pull up to the house, but the vent pipe is approx. 4’ long.
It’s cool this morning and when I come outside I can still smell it. So apparently height isn’t the issue.
I’d rather not have to smell that every time I walk out of the house so what can be done to remedy this?
Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you get the septic tank pumped? This question is not based on the symptoms, but you should do so if you have not done so.
After looking at the tank and field and finding nothing,
You looked at the tank? It's not buried?

Is the smell in the attic?

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
Did you get the septic tank pumped? This question is not based on the symptoms, but you should do so if you have not done so.

You looked at the tank? It's not buried?

Is the smell in the attic?

the tank top doesn’t have risers yet, I ordered them and they’ll be here Friday. We just poured the driveway and covering the last bit of septic is all that’s left on this build.

The septic has only been in use for 3 months or so, pumping it didn’t even screws my mind.
No smell in the attic.

Reach4

Reaction score
the tank top doesn’t have risers yet, I ordered them and they’ll be here Friday. We just poured the driveway and covering the last bit of septic is all that’s left on this build.
The smell doesn't come out the top of the septic tank that is not yet buried?

The septic has only been in use for 3 months or so, pumping it didn’t even screws my mind.
No smell in the attic.
I mis-read the house situation. Many people say new when they mean new-to-them.

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
The smell doesn't come out the top of the septic tank that is not yet buried?

I mis-read the house situation. Many people say new when they mean new-to-them.

Sorry, I should have clarified it is a newly built house.
No smell anywhere near the tank.
As soon as the sun gets up and temps rise, the smell goes away.
Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks