Separate dishwasher drain (sink is on the island)

Users who are viewing this thread

dmpogo

Reaction score
I have an island sink, but dishwasher is across an isle at the wall and has to be drained independently. The current setup (inherited with the house) utilizes a pretty long hose to drain under the floor (see the chart) and does not work well
dwhookup_current.jpeg

From time to time dishwasher does not drain. If I unhook its drain hose (blue) from the long underfloor one (blank) and put it in the bucket, it works
just fine.

I though of replacing the black hose with a pipe. However I cannot get a pipe to stand up behind the dishwasher, so I still need a hose to go through the floor. Something like that
dwhookup.jpeg

My questions are
1) Will it work and is it not against some obvious rules ?

If yes

2) How should I connect a shorter hose to the pipe ? Should I built a vent at the connection ? The hose will be coming not just from the top, but from a side, at what angle should I attach it ?

3) Should I move the P-trap to where the hose will attach ?

4) What diameter should the pipe be ?

Attachments

• dwhookup_current.jpeg
    dwhookup_current.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,807
  • dwhookup.jpeg
    dwhookup.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3,209
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pretty funky.

It may be better to move the 1-1/2" p-trap closer to the DW.
You will need to vent the p-trap within 42" to prevent siphoning.
If you had an air gap on the counter, it would help to prevent water draining back to the dishwasher.

dmpogo

Reaction score
Terry said:
Pretty funky.

It may be better to move the 1-1/2" p-trap closer to the DW.
You will need to vent the p-trap within 42" to prevent siphoning.
If you had an air gap on the counter, it would help to prevent water draining back to the dishwasher.

Thanks, it is funky :) !
Just for my understanding, what is the advantage of moving the p-trap closer to DW ? (Currently it is next to the vented drain, so is withing 42" of vent)