dishwasher drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dookiepants

Reaction score
i've replaced my double basin sink with a single one on my own.

the dishwasher drain was set up this way by a plumber, where the pipe goes into a drain pipe, not sure if this was correct, but should i leave it like this or should i do something to fix it? The ptrap is under the cabinet and i can see it in the basement i believe the DW hose is going to the pipe with out the ptrap.

is this correct? if not what should i do? should i start over?
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-23 at 14.52.42_b7aefe53.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 20.40.22_14425771.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 20.40.22_14425771.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 37
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-23 at 21.19.01_bfe86eb7.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-23 at 21.19.01_bfe86eb7.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 34

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In the USA we would call that a disaster waiting to happen (due to overflow risk) and it is not UPC.
We use (if no garbage disposal) a dishwasher branch tailpiece. We also require a DW airgap to prevent any chance of backflow from sewer into the dishwasher. Some jurisdictions allow a high loop on the DW discharge without using an air gap device.
Also UPC requires vented plumbing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another Canadian posted picture of his K/S plumbing a week ago . Us being Americans mostly dont recognize these unusual plumbing practices . its not UPC its in Canada as far as I know UPC dosent exist in Canada , so the pipe on the right with washer drain stuffed in it is wrong for sure it should be a vent and not another drain. Im guessing in your country that instead of a vent it might be legal to use a AAV .

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I just looked at the Canadian P Code and where it portrays Island Fixtures (Division B) it shows a kitchen sink with trap (permanent access required) and both the openings are for CLEANOUTS, not the DW. So a branch tailpiece is what you need for the DW

There must be a full vent through roof within 1.8 m. If 2" trap and pipe that distance to an actual vent is 2.4 m
1706339479392.png

dookiepants

Reaction score
Ah, so it must be a cleanout pipe then where the DW hose is going into. what is the best way to correct this?

Can I reuse any of the pieces I already have in place to put in one of these (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lesso-dishwasher-wye-hubxhubxbarb-1-1-2-x-1-1-2-x-3-4-/1001208180)? or should i cut above the ptrap again from the basement and start all over. i had to use two 22.5 to get make it reach the sink, how many more angles would i need to accommodate this piece?

should i bring the ptrap into the cabinet instead?

Attachments

• 1706367060485.png
    1706367060485.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 26

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea great thanks for posting , looks to me like it matches illistration "b" except the vent was im properly done and his work wont even meet Canadian code but easy enough to fix

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know if a plumber has ever been on the jobsite, Im thinking it might have been roughed in by a plumber kinda hard to guess.
One image shows a partial build of a single bowl sink and another has an image of a double sink partial . Looks like the project was never finished befor it was rebuilt ? Dont really care but thats how it looks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks