Sanitary Tee or Wye under toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Trey

Reaction score
I've come across some conflicting info about having sanitary tees or wyes vertically installed under toilets where a wet vent joins in. I know generally you'd use a tee since it's a horizontal to vertical joint, but I've also come across advice that a wye is better directly under a flange because it helps it prevent horizontal venting below the foundation slab.

Thankful for any input!

Reach4

Reaction score
Both are acceptable. Wye is a little better. For showers or other drains, you need to pass air to break the siphon; for those you need the sanitary tee. Toilets are different. They siphon on purpose. The trap is in the toilet, and gets refilled by the little hose down that squirts water down the overflow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A toilet can be vented with a wye or a santee. The bowl is designed to siphon and then gets refilled by water in the tank.
Every other fixture in the home has a p-trap that is designed to not to siphon out. Those get vented the normal way.

Trey

Reaction score
Thank you both! As a follow up question, does it matter if I use a 4 inch flange and tee that changes to a 3 inch pipe (using a 4x3 closet elbow) or should I just make it 3 inch all the way? I don't want the size reduction to induce clogs but I figured at that size it wouldn't hurt anything.

Trey

Reaction score
I know the general principle is to try and not reduce the size of the pipe downstream. If I install a 4" pipe under the flange through the tee then reduce it to a 3" pipe underneath I wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause any issues. But since it originates from a 2" trapway in the toilet I guess that answers my question :)

Reach4

Reaction score

Gabriel1989

Reaction score
Both are acceptable. Wye is a little better. For showers or other drains, you need to pass air to break the siphon; for those you need the sanitary tee. Toilets are different. They siphon on purpose. The trap is in the toilet, and gets refilled by the little hose down that squirts water down the overflow.
Please I’ve same situation, please indicate if this installation is good

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 209

Gabriel1989

Reaction score
I've come across some conflicting info about having sanitary tees or wyes vertically installed under toilets where a wet vent joins in. I know generally you'd use a tee since it's a horizontal to vertical joint, but I've also come across advice that a wye is better directly under a flange because it helps it prevent horizontal venting below the foundation slab.

Thankful for any input!
Please I’ve same situation, please indicate if this installation is good

IMG_0222.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks