salty water

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Walker

Reaction score
I just bought a house on well water and I noticed after the water softener runs; the water is extremely salty. I pulled the injector and screen. Both were incredibly clogged. It is a 255 model with a 3/8 check valve for the brine tank. Everything else seems fine but upon further inspection; I found there is no ball in the check valve and the replacement part shows it with one. Would this cause the salt issue?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Would this cause the salt issue?
Typically, insufficient Slow Rinse time.

On many systems, the Brine Draw cycle will be programmed for 60-minutes duration. During the start of that 60-minutes, the brine will be transferred from the brine tank to the resin tank within approx 15-minutes at which point, the air check valve will close to prevent air from being drawn during the remaining Slow Rinse cycle. For the remaining ~45-minutes, slow rinse flow will continue to push the brine through the resin whereby calcium, magnesium, chloride and excess sodium ions will be released and flushed to drain. When the slow rinse time is too short, then the soft water directly following regeneration, will usually taste salty.

As the injector functions as a Venturi, the water flow through the center of the injector, creates a vacuum on the brine port to draw brine from the brine tank. If the injector is dirty, then the rate of brine draw maybe reduced or may not occur whatsoever.

Did cleaning the injector improve operation? Suggest performing a manual regeneration while you are available to monitor each regeneration stage, to ensure brine is fully drawn from the brine tank

You didn't mention any concern with too much brine, but if there is a greater amount than usual within the brine tank, suggest removing out the softener's electrical plug during the brine draw cycle so as to temporarily extend the draw time to ensure all of the brine is drawn out. After all of the brine has been drawn, wait a further 30-minutes before restoring electrical power to provide some additional Slow Rinse time in addition to the Slow Rinse which will continue to occur once power is restored.

Reach4

Reaction score
The check valve ball is on the valve on the Autotrol 255. As you face the unit, that ball is in a clear housing on the right near the back.

You may have an Autotrol 255/440i or Autotrol 255/460i

You might try cleaning the injector screen.

How big is your tank (10x54 inch or what)?
What is your salt dial set to?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks