Rust spots from soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

palpack1

Reaction score
The day after our plumber did the tub rough in I discovered tiny rust-looking spots on the floor of the brand new tub toward the front of the tub. Could that be from soldering? Any ideas on removing them? Scrubbing didn't work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Iron Out is good for rust.
IO30N.jpg

https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...emover-28-oz/io30n/p-1444444183359-c-7097.htm is the small bottle of crystals.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Is the finish of the tub chipped where you see the rust spots?

Do you know if the plumber ran water in the tub to verify there were no leaks? Are there galvanized pipe nipples sticking out of where the tub spout or shower arm (if one) would be attached? It might just be bits of rust from inside the nipples that wound up on the bottom of the tub.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do this: rub it with a cloth. Is it coming off, and if yes, is the finish on the tub good?

palpack1

Reaction score
It is brand new cast iron. No chips in the finish. It does not rub off. Yes, there are rusty pipes sticking out of the rough in shower and tub spout and he did test the water. What does all that tell me? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, nobody should have any galvanized piping in potable water systems. You're just asking for problems.

There are some things that should help remove rust stains, if that's what they are.

One thing you can try is to make a past of borax and lemon juice, rub it on, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse away. Repeat as necessary. There are some commercial rust removers available, too.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
It is brand new cast iron. No chips in the finish. It does not rub off. Yes, there are rusty pipes sticking out of the rough in shower and tub spout and he did test the water. What does all that tell me? Thanks!
The rusty pipes sticking out of the rough in are PROBABLY temporary and SHOULD BE replaced with brass when the plumber installs the trim pieces after the finished wall surface (tile I assume?) has been installed. I would contact your plumber regarding the rust spots - although unlikely, they *could* be defects in the tub finish.

palpack1

Reaction score
No worries on the galvanized pipe sticking out. Just placeholder until fixtures are put in place. Iron Out didn't work. I'll try the borax and lemon juice. The Tub was fine when purchased but the spots appeared after construction and rough in. Still a mystery.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, there is no iron in solder...it's generally silver and tin (older stuff had lead in it)...so, your stain wasn't from soldering. It could be from maybe the flux, but more probably, an iron particle in the galvanized piping that got flushed out and not cleaned up.

But, if there was a defect in the finish, it could be that.

An acid based flux (not supposed to use those anymore) might stain something, but it should still clean off.

A magic eraser can sometimes help without damaging the finish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks