Reusing ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
In another thread, *Extending shower/bath supply lines*, it was mentioned that one should not bother attempting to reuse a fitting. I agree. I've had very little luck with that and just throw the fitting away. Except ...

Because of some, uh, interesting plumbing I had to reuse one end of a half-inch ball valve.

I cleaned the valve as best I could (but could not get down to bare brass), refluxed, and soldered. The joint held.

So some basic questions:

(a) Is a brass ball valve considered a fitting?

(b) Am I looking at problems in the future?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
ToolsRMe said:
In another thread, *Extending shower/bath supply lines*, it was mentioned that one should not bother attempting to reuse a fitting. I agree. I've had very little luck with that and just throw the fitting away. Except ...

Because of some, uh, interesting plumbing I had to reuse one end of a half-inch ball valve.

I cleaned the valve as best I could (but could not get down to bare brass), refluxed, and soldered. The joint held.

So some basic questions:

(a) Is a brass ball valve considered a fitting?

(b) Am I looking at problems in the future?
b
it will be fine.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
hj said:
NOT getting it down to brass probably made it a better joint, because the joint was "pretinned".

Well, I've learned something new today. Thanks.

A follow-up question. Since the rules for a brass, uh, fitting (Is it a fitting?) seems to be different than for a copper fitting, is sweating different? That is, does one heat the (brass) valve or the copper?

Seems to me that you'd want to heat the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks