Reposition Pex Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
A plumber installed some PEX water lines for me in the mechanical room. He left before I noticed the lines are quite low.

Can I just push them up? Will I be risking a leak? Especially at the circled connection?

If it's easy to do I'd rather not have to call the plumber back.
20230803_003359~2.jpg

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Not sure of your question, but if you want to simply dress the new red and blue pipe upward you can as long as you don't put any stress on the fittings. If you're talking about rotating the fitting inside the pipe, you can try but it may not spin easily with a compression crimp. If it does cause a leak, it will be a drip not a deluge

John

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
Not sure of your question, but if you want to simply dress the new red and blue pipe upward you can as long as you don't put any stress on the fittings. If you're talking about rotating the fitting inside the pipe, you can try but it may not spin easily with a compression crimp. If it does cause a leak, it will be a drip not a deluge

John
Thanks. I'm not a plumber .

I'm not sure how to "dress" the pipe upward. I guess it must flex.

In general how strong are pex pipe connections?

It's quite low. If someone grabbed on to it and pulled without realizing it's a water pipe, would it leak easily?

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a professional plumber FWIW, but I've installed a bunch of PEX. Not sure what I'm looking at. Is that looking straight up at the bottom of the floor joists? PEX is pretty flexible and you look to have brass fittings but twisting and putting pressure on the connection could cause a leak.

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
I'm not a professional plumber FWIW, but I've installed a bunch of PEX. Not sure what I'm looking at. Is that looking straight up at the bottom of the floor joists? PEX is pretty flexible and you look to have brass fittings but twisting and putting pressure on the connection could cause a leak.
Correct. In the basement and looking straight up at the floor joists.

The blue line comes down and is only 6 feet of the floor.

I want to avoid people bumping their head on it. Or not thinking and grabbing on to it while working in the mechanical room

Reach4

Reaction score
PEX should be supported every 32 horizontal inches or less.

Eman85

Reaction score
Maybe back up a little and give us some perspective? What does the blue line go to? There's a red line and a black iron pipe going down also.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It's at an angle because it looks like there wasn't much slack to crimp the fitting flush with the floor joist. The crimp tool total surrounds the clamp.

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
Maybe back up a little and give us some perspective? What does the blue line go to? There's a red line and a black iron pipe going down also.
Here's a wider photo

Attachments

• 20230811_015648.jpg
    20230811_015648.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 53

Eman85

Reaction score
I can't see any "pushing them up" as a way to get any better. I can see how a couple of fittings and a crimp tool it could be made to look professional.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks