Replacing washing machine valves

Users who are viewing this thread

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Hello, I have some washing machine valves that do work. They are pretty hard to turn off completely. Of course I don't do this much. I was thinking I might want to replace them with quarter turn before I get new flooring. There's no accessible part to put a wrench on to hold steady while unscrewing the valve. I could cut a small amount of drywall and trying peek in. Had a plumber mention it would be a 16x24 hole in the drywall and removing the whole box and putting in a whole bunch of new piping and fittings.

Maybe replacing the whole thing isn't worth it, maybe there is an adapter they make that has a shut off, and I could leave those wide open, or maybe I just upgrade the internals of this old one?

1709602780640.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure You probebly can do that turn off water remove top and service the valves replace the washers

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
All valves like that in you pic are repairable., And yes, you can add aftermarket garden hose ball valves, but, get the ones with longer levers on them.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
Thank you, if I were to search for repairing these versus replacing them, are there some key words/search terms that would turn up the relevant information? Like names of the parts inside, words like “washer” have two meanings here and are not returning good info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks