Replacing The Wax Ring On An Old Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

pnbhome

Reaction score
I have some questions regarding the replacement of the wax ring under an old toilet:

1. I just replaced the wax ring under an old toilet. The flange was the height of the floor and I used an Wax Extender Kit that claims to have 40% more wax. As I placed the toilet down on the new wax ring, a good deal of pressure was required to make the base sit completely flat on the floor - which took some time and effort. And, as I placed the base down, it seemed to rock slightly on the toilet flange as the wax compressed. Is this normal or, at least, okay?

2. I noticed a very small amount of the wax oozing from under the back of the toilet base on one side. The old ring was just a wax ring only (no encased plastic flange) but it was replaced with a wax ring that contains a plastic flange. Did I use a wax ring that was too big? Should I have used a wax ring only - without an encased plastic flange?

3. I have flushed the toilet numerous times and there have been no signs of any leakage. (I placed paper towels all around the base to detect any moisture. They are all completely dry.) The toilet now sits completely flat and does not rock. Should I be concerned with the items mentioned above - or even replace the wax ring with a smaller one?

4. Finally, there were three commodes in the house when we moved in six years ago. The wax rings for two have now been replaced. The third toilet appears to have no drain problems. Should I preemptively replace the wax ring of the third, even though there a no signs of leaking (no odor or moisture)? Or - don't fix it because it ain't broke?

Thank you very much for any insight and advice you might offer!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some toilet flanges, the use of a ring with the funnel creates many more problems than they are trying to solve. If yours works, leave it. You may not have needed the extra thick wax ring, and depending on the temperature, it can be quite stiff, so pressure to compress and shape it to the flange and toilet is not unusual. As long as when it is fully seated, it does not rock or leak or clog, you should be fine. Unless your toilet rocks, or you get really aggressive with a plunger and blow the seal out, a wax ring is a one-time install - it should last the life of the toilet. No need to pre-emptively replace one. Now, IF the toilet rocks, then the seal must be replaced and the toilet shimmed.

What happens sometimes with the funnel is if it is slightly offset when setting, or the interior diameter of the flange is smaller than the funnel, it can cause the funnel to collapse and partially close off the opening. This may flush water fine, but may block waste and paper. If it works, leave it alone.

pnbhome

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. I appreciate your guidance. I am going to leave the toilets as they are.

How does one know if a wax seal is leaking? That is, besides the usual indicators - odor or floor moisture near the commode. Or worse, water damage on the ceiling of the floor below. Is there any trade secret for detecting a wax seal leak before something bad results? Just curious.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's pretty much either visual or olfactory...you either see or smell it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks