Replacing old bladderless tank / system

Users who are viewing this thread

Floridasteader

Reaction score
My old galvanized well has developed a pinhole leak in the bottom of the pressure tank and I'm looking to replace the pressure tank. I'm also wanting to make sure I understand the system and ensure I'm setting myself up for success at maintaining what I have. I bought the house a couple years ago, and had a well guy check the well at the time. He replaced the AVC (I think?) and pronounced it good to go. I've deduced I have a a bladderless system with an AVC. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but there's a check valve, with schrader valve, no schrader valve on the tank. Everytime the pump turns on, air hisses. Pressure has always been good. Here's a link to album showing the full setup.

https://imgur.com/a/jCkgl

Should I pursue finding an exact pressure tank replacement (the big box store tanks seem to be diaphragm or bladder style)? Or does it make more sense to change out my existing setup? It doesn't feel like I could just buy a bladder tank and drop it in as-is. The plumbing wouldn't fit, and I think the air setup won't work?

I also have a couple specific nice-to-haves:

1) Being in north central Florida, we get hurricanes on occasion. This past summer we lost power twice. Once for a week, and once for 3 days. I'd like to ensure I can get drinking water at least from the pressure tank as I can't run the well pump when the power is out (having a way to do this would be awesome, but I've no idea how). This seems to have worked with the current tank, though I was cautious to try all that much.

2) I plan to fill a pool next summer, and I'd like to do so in as nice as possible way from the well. Is there a way to let the pump run continuously for the fill? It should take a solid 16 - 24 hours I estimate to fill.

What should I do?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I suspect you have air bleeders in the drop pipe down in the well bringing air into the system.
I would just replace it with the same tank unless you are really wanting to pull it all apart and replace everything.
Particularly if you have iron in the water, the non-bladder tank provides some function in allowing some of the iron to precipitate out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like CC says, if you have Iron or Sulfur in the water stay with the old style tank. If iron or sulfur is not a problem you can swap to a diaphragm style tank. The bleeder that is 5' down the well will need to be closed off. If the bleeder is good, just removing the above ground check valve will keep the bleeder closed, as it won't open until the check closes and takes the pressure off. But if the bleeder is bad, it will have to be removed and plugged before you can switch to a diaphragm style tank.

Check with Tractor Supply as they keep galv tanks.

Floridasteader

Reaction score
Thanks. No, I'm not wanting to undertake a big job, I would only do it if it would be a useful thing long-term. The water definitely has a lot of calcium and iron and will produce buildup. I'll check tractor supply and keep looking for something that will be a straight drop in since it sounds like the system I have is the best option.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are spun glass alternatives but they might not be readily available in the larger sizes and need to be shipped in.

Edit: removed link to WellMate tank as it was to a bladder model. They do make HP models too.

Last edited:

Floridasteader

Reaction score
I would be interested in a fiberglass version, but I can't find any besides the Flex-Lite FLS (and I can't seem to find anyone who would ship). The only solution I've found is at Lowe's, who can order in an old style expoy tank for me, but it'll be 2 weeks or so.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are looking at. It has an in, an out, and a blowdown port.
hp.jpg

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can purchase that tank in the Well-Mate or Flexcon brands. I have installed both brands. They both make the model that uses a top mounted AVC. One has a threaded top port, the other uses an orbit with retainer ring fitting. They also both make a model with a side port bung, for installation of your normal AVC. Non sure if Well-Mate makes one, but Flexcon makes a model that has baffles inside the tank for enhanced water mixing as a retention tank. That’s what I use for a chlorine contract tank when contact time is important.