Replacing gas range question

Users who are viewing this thread

SBpropertiesGA

Reaction score
As part of a remodel I am replacing an older gas range. The new range has a larger diameter flex pipe and fitting than the old one and will not screw into the valve.
Can I use an adapter to make it fit the old valve? Will the range still operate properly if I do? Or should I replace the valve with the larger diameter?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may be a bigger issue than that...if your new stove has higher capacity burners and oven than the old one, and the old pipe was sized to supply only enough gas for the old one, your pipe may not have enough capacity for your new stove!

Assuming it does have the capacity, you could use an adapter, or change the shutoff, if you can find one with the appropriate fitting built into it.

There are tables that will show the capacity of the existing pipe based on its size, length, and the number of fittings. Each fitting adds what is called equivalent length to the gas pipe's actual length. The longer the effective length, the less gas it can supply.

SBpropertiesGA

Reaction score
Thanks! I will look up the tables. The pipe comes straight thru the wall from the meter to the range, so there's not much length. Was hoping I could use an adapter and not have to call out the gas company. Not so much the cost as the delay time. Anything other than screwing together, I'm not attempting to DIY when it comes to gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks