Replacing deep well jet pump with higher horsepower

Users who are viewing this thread

Cortez123

Reaction score
Hi all, first time post here. I can't seem to find this answer anywhere, but maybe I'm overthinking it. I have a 1/2 hp deep well jet pump (FE Myers HJ50D). Unfortunately, I don't know how deep the well is. The most pressure I can get is about 39psi and my pump can only supply about 4.5 gpm. I'd like to have more pressure so I was thinking of replacing it with a 1hp pump. I'm sure I could do the replacement myself, however, I don't think I want to brave pulling out the venturi pipes. If I only change the well pump, would I still get more pressure (albeit less than ideal) or is it absolutely required to change the pipes and venturi?

Cortez123

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to. Thanks for letting me know.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a 4" well.

If you put in a submersible, you could get plenty of pressure with no priming or other drama. You could put in a Grundfos SQ 3 inch pump. If that well is cased with 4 inch ID PVC, you could also put in a "4 inch" pump.

A 1/2 HP submersible would be about equivalent to a 1 HP jet pump.

Cortez123

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to avoid pulling the pipes out of the well since I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself. I agree that it makes sense to use a submersible if I end up pulling the pipes anyways, though.

Matthew Kane

Reaction score
We had a Myers jet pump in a well pit and struggled with no water pressure. We had the casing extended, a pitless adaptor installed and dropped a 3" grundfos submersible into the well (4" casing). Went from 40 psi max to 50 on 70 off. After having the new setup I would never go back to a jet pump. My only regret.....not doing it 15 years ago when we purchased the home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks