Replacing a tub and tub surround

Users who are viewing this thread

alexlacelle

Reaction score
In hopes of replacing my bathtub and tub surround this coming weekend, I’m hoping to get some tips/advice on doing so.

I’ve attached pictures of my current tub. It measures 58 inches long, drywall to drywall, however the lip is buried behind the drywall. My understanding from research is that this would in fact be a 60 inch tub, and that a replacement 60 inch tub will work.

My current tub is 30 inches wide from within the surround, to the opposite edge. I'm planning on replacing this with a 32 inch wide tub, as I have enough room to do so. I realize this will mean moving the valve and elbow over 1 inch. I figure the current valve is old and should be replaced while I'm doing the job anyway.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to replace the surround with a 1 piece or a 3 piece, but in either case, should the surround be installed on top of drywall, or just onto the studs? In either case, the lips of my current tub are covered in drywall. I plan on cutting a few inches above the surround to be able to remove it, and then patching this once the new surround is in.

As far as materials list, I have the following:
Plumbing supplies
Tub and surround
2x4’s for supporting the tub edges
Plumbers putty
Caulking and surround glue
New valve, spout and arm, elbow, control, etc.
New overflow drain kit

What else might I need? I’d like to have everything ready to avoid extra trips to the hardware store.

Once I figure out how to physically get the new tub in, my understanding is that I’ll need to figure out the height for the 2x4 bracing, ensure they’re level, drop the tub on top of that, secure it, then install the surround. Is it really that easy? Also does the tub sit perfectly level, or should it be slightly sloped towards the drain? I assume the tub itself is built in such a way that it is sloped on the inside once level during installation, but I’d like to make sure..

My new tub surround will not go to the ceiling, so I’m not concerned with the overall height of the replacement.

Any tips or info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9685.jpg
    IMG_9685.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_9686.jpg
    IMG_9686.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_9687.jpg
    IMG_9687.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 192
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks