Replacing a section of galvanized with copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jane

Reaction score
Hi there. After getting a new toilet installed, I had low water pressure to the whole house. The plumber found the clogged pipe (right at the main) and replaced a 4 foot section of old galvanized pipe with PEX.

I am leery of PEX and the toxins it could possibly release into the drinking water. I have asked him to replace the PEX with copper at my expense. He is scheduled to do this next week.

I'm reading that joining copper to galvanized is not a good idea because of corrosion. My pipes are very old and there's a lot of rust in there already. I know I need to replace them all, but that would be a pretty big project. So for now, I just want to replace the PEX pipe that he installed.

What is the best solution here? Should I ask him to install galvanized instead of copper? If copper is ok - how long will it leach copper into the water? Am I over-reacting to a 4 foot section of PEX? Would simply running the water for a minute be good enough?

Thanks for any suggestions. This might seem like a trivial question to some since we live in a pretty toxic world to begin with - but the less toxins we ingest - the better.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it's in the context of planning a full repipe in the next 1-5 years, what's the problem with a short section of new galvanized?
I put a galvanized nipple onto my tub spout for about a month, and when I would turn on the water, there would be rusty water coming out first. Got brass now.

Yet I still have galvanized in my plumbing that has been there for years. I still plan on changing that (to pex), but it is not spitting out rusty water. So I think it has developed a coating inside.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Steel through 6" of brass nipple to copper is the method accepted for transitioning between materials. Tho I've seen plenty of straight steel to copper installations last for decades.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing galvanized with equal is an accepted as well method as is PEX or even CPVC.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. even if you wanted to install galvanized.. how are you going to realistically insert threaded pipe between existing threaded fittings.. Nobody is going to spend the time and energy cutting and threading pipe, inserting nipples and unions and then chase down the leaks. Who even threads pipe these days? OK... some guy in NY probably does but we sold all our threading equipment years ago..

Its way easier to do all that with copper with press fittings. You don't even need to drain the water completely.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. even if you wanted to install galvanized.. how are you going to realistically insert threaded pipe between existing threaded fittings.. Nobody is going to spend the time and energy cutting and threading pipe, inserting nipples and unions and then chase down the leaks. Who even threads pipe these days? OK... some guy in NY probably does but we sold all our threading equipment years ago..

Its way easier to do all that with copper with press fittings. You don't even need to drain the water completely.
absolutly easier in most cases assuming the section is in the middle, i think most guys use pex . I thread for gas but avoid cutting and threading.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex is pretty inert. There's millions of feet of the stuff installed around the world without problems.

A lot of the flexible hoses to your faucets have pex inside, so you've probably been living with it for years.

Jane

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll stick with copper for the replacement.

Should I disinfect the new copper pipe, or is the chlorine in the city water good enough? It's such a small section, I could ask the plumber to run some bleach water through it if necessary (I read that's how they disinfect new construction).

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I disinfect the new copper pipe, or is the chlorine in the city water good enough? It's such a small section, I could ask the plumber to run some bleach water through it if necessary (I read that's how they disinfect new construction).
Unless the water has passed through a carbon filter, most people reasonably rely on the chlorine/chloromine from the city to to the disinfection.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually I never chlorinate something like that. just replace it and flush it out

Jane

Reaction score
Last questions! lol How many minutes do you flush out the pipes on that first day? When would you consider it safe to drink the water?

You've all been so helpful - thank you!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've cut into quite a few water pipes over the years. Mostly what I see inside the pipes is a coating of a reddish brown film. I feel that it's more likely that stuff is deposited on the inside of the pipes rather than stuff from the pipe leaching into the water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I think you're worrying about nothing. If the plumber is a little sloppy with the flux, you might taste that for a bit, but it won't hurt you, just not be pleasant. Pex is used in many faucet supply lines all around the world, and many thousands of homes are plumbed with pex, and have been, for decades around the world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks